Identify this please.. strange.. thing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi :)

yea, found this strange thing in my tank. Obviously by the size, its been there for a while.

Here's a picture of it:

This is what Im seeing now:
img_547511_0_0f5833add1f8e7b7803e94fa6e056b01.gif

This is what I saw this morning:
img_547511_1_5dda76ae821e803d8d4c517fa335910d.gif

Its about 1- 1.5 inches, oval shaped. The body is a hard shell (tapped it with a poker, not touching it with my fingers!). It moved at snail speed. The outside 'rim' of the body has similar coloring/pattern of scooter blenny, same pinkish spots. Im guessing its some sort of mullusk?

I first saw it this morning when I turned on the lights. it was there. then it crawled under the rock. Now its out in the open. Im just concerned whether its safe or not. it seems perfectly harmless (then again, when I experimented with seeminly harmless, its harmful!)

Since Im new to this forum, here's a brief detail of my tank:

10 gal nano with 2 percula clowns and a yellow tail blue damsel fish, and several corals (polyps, mushrooms mostly) with about 2 or 3 crabs and about 5 or 6 snails. I havent added anything new to the tank in a few months. though about 4 months ago, my shrimps suddenly decided to die on me (all 3 of them, which was the worse thing that happened to me). The tank is slightly over 2 years old now, running beautifully without any problems.

ID please? :)

thanks, timbo :) I believe you are right, the descriptions seem to match well.

thanks! must've been a hitch hiker long ago I'd bet

That is usually how we end up with them. I have never seen them offered in any detrivore packs or for sale at LFS.

neither have I.. reason why i had no idea what the heck it was, lol.

Since this forum seems to be much nicer than the other one that I went to, you guys may see me more often around here. mostly with questions

Back
Top Bottom