Identify this thing pls?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinebeginner

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone please identify this (?coral) with brown tentacles which I have adopted as a bonus addition to tank along with new leather coral? Thanks!

image-2303343952.jpg

image-2476982320.jpg

image-172811206.jpg

Aphasia, you don't want it in your tank. They spread really fast. I killed the ones that were on my live rock when I got it. I inject hot water from a syringe on them, some people use lemon juice or they make a product called AptasiaX that kills them

Oh bugger!! Have just been reading up on these things and you are completely correct . How annoying ! I don't want to completely remove the piece of live rock it's on as it is also supporting two lovely new leather corals. Will try the lemon juice method. Should I do a partial water change straight after? (I have fish, other coral and invertebrates)

No water change needed. I have used lemon juice and hot water both with success. You can also get peppermint shrimp they are known to eat them as we'll.

Help with aptasia- I've tried the lemon juice in boiling water twice, both times the aptasia has shrivelled up and looked like it would die but then a few days later its back looking healthy as ever. What would happen if I just cut it off rock at its stalk?

cutting them is the worst. if any small pieces survive they will float and attach somewhere else. make sure when doing the lemon juice that you get it directly in their mouth. you need to use a small syringe with a small tip to actually jam it in them and fill them with the liquid. aptasiaX is the best since it is thick and you can coat their tentacles then pump them full as soon as they try to retract. aim for the mouth. thats the key.

Get a needled syringe fill it with lemon juice don't need to boil it and injected it with it numerous time place in bucket of water the pest will turn white and slide off the rock.squirt some more were it was at scrape that area soak in bucket, place awesome toadstool back in tank!! Enjoy victory! No syringe go ask pharmacy for one tell them what it's for and they look at you like ok!

The beast is dead- hooray! Have no probs getting syringes in my line of work. The neat lemon juice directed towards his mouth (without the boiling water) worked a treat.

Back
Top Bottom