Macro...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theatrus

Aquarium Advice Freak
IMG_1492.jpg

Grows blindingly fast, but easy to pull off. I'm keeping bunches of it since it most likely helps with nutrient export. I think some of it has some coraline growing on it... (or at least the 'leaves' turned blue)

Looks like you have two species growing together. If you can get a better pic of the top left area it might be easier to ID.

Given the "blue" description of the lower right algae, I'd say Dictyota adnata.

Cheers
Steve

i have a small clump of the lower right algae. it glows blue under the 03 lighting. has this macro been known to cause any problems? it actually look kind of nice in my tank

steve r

steve r said:
has this macro been known to cause any problems?
No clue, never kept it. A friend of mine has a similar species and other than a fast growth rate has not experienced any problems.

Cheers
Steve

I have a lot of it. I know exactly what you mean when you say it has a blueish color sometimes. It grows quickly, but I have not found it to take over the tank by any means. As you say, it is also very easy to remove if you think you have too much.

It is the preferred diet of my largest eunicid worm, so he may be keeping it under control in my tank. I don't have any plant eating fish, but I suspect they would also find it tasty.

You can probably see some of it in in the photos in my gallery.

is the eunicid worm you are talking about tan with a red head and 4 red antenna? i have two like that and one made a house with a trap door on both sides. i have seen them both grab a piece of algae and drag it in a hole or their house. anything to watch out for with them?

steve r

The "reach", "grab" and "drag" certainly sounds like eunicid worm behavior.

That whole family of worms have very distinct head antennae (5?) and jaws that operate like pincers to grab things. It really is a bit scary to watch them grab things. Honestly, I wouldn't want one to be attracted to my finger!

Does anyone have that link to the story about the 7 foot eunicid worm that guy pulled from his tank?

The photo in my gallery is of the largest worm, who is very gold, irridenscent in color. I have a couple smaller ones that are mostly dark red-brown with a distinct white collar around their necks. White ringed, brown ones are about 1.5-2ft long. I hate to speculate how large the big one is. I've never seen the end of him and he's at least twice as thick as the others. My Hex tank is only 2 feet across in any direction!

They'll eat just about anything, but seem to prefer vegetation. I've recently had a small cluster of xenia cropped and last night a healthy toadstool frag vanished. I suspect the worms, but what can you do? That's life in the tank.

Maybe they will eventually eat each other....

the link to the huge worm is oregonreef.com.

mine are probably about 6 inches right now. they are lighting fast! you think bristle worms are fast? these suckers would leave them in the dust. i doubt i will get them out unless i catch one on the sand

steve r

Back
Top Bottom