Mantis or Pistol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I make several clicking sounds in a row. Am I...

• A mantis shrimp.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pistol shrimp.

• a ghost who like to play the spoons.

• Total voters

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night I heard alot of clicking. several clicks in a row (2 or 3) and followed by one click. then several, then pause, then several, etc.

who is doing that?

Good luck with that...
I got the same and sat in the dark with a 1 led flashlight and still have not seen what it is !

Been happening for months now !

Same here, I hear it coming from a bunch of different locations in my tank. Absolutely no idea which it could be.

Look for the tell tail signs of a mantis. That would be broken snail and hermit shells.

I have been hearing tapping come from inside my largest piece of live rock for about 6 months.
No broken shells or missing livestock.
Sometimes its one click, sometimes 2 or 3 together.
I assume its a pistol, since no sinister attrocities have happened.
Good luck with your "tapper"!
:mrgreen:

Sea Cat said:
I have been hearing tapping come from inside my largest piece of live rock for about 6 months.
No broken shells or missing livestock.
Sometimes its one click, sometimes 2 or 3 together.
I assume its a pistol, since no sinister attrocities have happened.
Good luck with your "tapper"!
:mrgreen:

I'm in the same boat as you !
No dead snails or hermits so I got no idea...

Also, could be snails. I heard clicking for hours, until I tracked it down. It was a Turbo snail wedged neatly between a powerhead and the glass. Whenever the powerhead turned on (I have them on a wavemaker) the snail would hit the glass because of the vibrations. Had me worried for a while until I found out what it was.

I can't tell a Pistol from a Mantis just by the clicking...

However, if you can't find the culprit I would lay odds that it is a Pistol. They are much more shy than the mantis. Mantis tend to be spotted because they are often peaking out of their holes to have a look around. They are also more active in the daylight than the Pistols.

You can also wait until you find a shed skin kicking around. That will give you an exact hollow copy of your mystery creature.

I know exactly how large my Pistol is and what he is shaped like...but I've never actually seen him.

I hear the clicking mostly after lights out. and there is quite a bit of it.

I heard that Mantis can't click several times in a row, which this does. The clicking comes quite often. It seems ecsessive for a mantis, but then again, I have no idea what I am talking about. :D

Back
Top Bottom