Need a Snail ID..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is probably just some common snail, but being a newbie I don't know what it is. It came in on our red mushroom rock and it's extremely tiny.

unknownsnail1.jpg

This second picture is very blurry but you can see that it has some kind of tube sticking out of its forehead. It also has a second one that juts down and it feels around with it. It also has two small antennae, I believe.

unknownsnail2.jpg

Thanks for any help. =)

If you can examine the opening it'll help. If it is purple then get rid of it since it is likely a whelk which is a coral eating species. Hard to tell from the pic but my first impression is it's a whelk..

Mark

Sort of. It has spent a lot of time on the glass and occasionally wanders down into the substrate, where it meanders to and fro as in here. I don't know if I've seen it actually bury itself, but it does bulldoze fragments of the substrate occasionally.

dont nassarius and conch also have snout I have one that rode in on LR now I wonder thought conch then nassaria now maybe whelk

Hate to resume an old post, but to answer fdean's Question. Generally whelks have a red to purple foot, where nass snails are an opaque white/grey. Though there are severl species I am sure most in aquaria cannot ID positively, I use the colored foot method.

Back
Top Bottom