Newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkociban

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have these zoas and are wandering if they need hight or low light?? They are purpleish red in color.

image-56839709.jpg

Welcome to AA :) all zoas are on the lower end of lighting requirements. It will depend on what kind of lighting you have and pump positioning to determine correct placement.

The pump is in the left corner and I have t8 coral sun specific for growing coral. The tank is a 20 gallon long.

Wait a second.... Those are my zoas aren't they lol. Tevin?

Yes haha I was just wandering where they should be placed.

They look to be opened up nicely.. I'd say leave them where they are unless you begin to see them closing up

Ok well I ordered some more cant wait to see what they look like in person.

Where from? What did you get and you better post pics on here when they come in lol?

Haha I will they will be in tomorrow. I got them off of salt critters.com I got: neon green star polyps, assorted war coral, green candy cane coral, and a wysiwyg zoanthid. I also got two mystery corals. But I will definetly post pics.

The war coral which I believe will be a favia and the candy cane are both lps which will need more lighting. They may be able to survive under t8s but you won't get much/any growth and no where near the color as what you seen. You really do need to try and stick in the low light section of corals which will be Softies, polyps, and mushrooms.

Madreefer420 said:
I thought zoas do t car about light high or low as long as they have it they are happy mine have exploded in high lighting

It will partly depend on the location that they are found. Some zoas are found much deeper then others so you'll get a variance in light sensitivity but compared to other types of corals like lps/sps they are at the bottom of the list. This is actually one of my frags and it did best at medium light low to medium flow under 6 36" t5s in my 46 bowfront

Well I assume deep water zoas would deff not like high light but non-deep waters benefit from the extra light I had to move my zoas to the sand cause they spread so much this is also true with my filly mushrooms kept them in a peak in direct
Light and I went from like 3 to 15 in like months they spread so fast they were dropping every where in the tank no I know this isn't true will all but I'm just trying to get across that just b/c something thrives in low light doesn't mean it may become a nuisance in high light

Back
Top Bottom