Please identify coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
coral.jpg.JPG

I'm sure this is a common, easy one, just happen to be new to the coral game.
Thanks all!

Maybe a Wellsophyllia but to be sure send it to me:brows:

OK so question - liveaquaria says that these bad boys may benefit from feedings of meaty items like shrimp, clams etc occasionally.

This may be a dumb question but...where the heck do you put the shrimp/other meaty thing? There's no openings that I can discern...

Actually the easiest way is to get something like mysis all I do is feed my tank heavy once or twice a week and turn off the pumps for about 15 minutes. Even with the pumps on it might catch something to eat. I don't directly feed my corals.

bighabeeb said:
OK so question - liveaquaria says that these bad boys may benefit from feedings of meaty items like shrimp, clams etc occasionally.

This may be a dumb question but...where the heck do you put the shrimp/other meaty thing? There's no openings that I can discern...

Squirt or drop it in the green area. He should close up the re-open in a few hours

na...putting stuff in the water column just dirties up the tank. wellsophyllia, tracyphyllia, lobos, etc will not benefit from food blowing around the tank.
that coral has noticeable mouths. you can see one right smack in the middle of the green area in that pic. turn off all flow when the lights go out, and put a pea sized piece of food in the green area. you'll see it take it in. it's amazing and would be great to see with time lapsed photography, cause I'm afraid it takes a little while.

OK so question - liveaquaria says that these bad boys may benefit from feedings of meaty items like shrimp, clams etc occasionally. This may be a dumb question but...where the heck do you put the shrimp/other meaty thing? There's no openings that I can discern...

At night they extend their feeder tentacles which look like this. They're able to quickly grasp and seize larger food items:
img_1680938_0_1027db78418bccc65ca006f9290da40b.jpg

I personally won't even attempt to feed an open brain until the feeders are extended.

Usually the mouth is in the center of the polyp as mr x stated, although some brain corals can have multiple mouths.

They do fine under lighting alone. I feed my open brain very infrequently these days but years ago I used to feed it PE mysis shrimp (and sometimes krill) once or twice a week.

you don't have to feed them at all providing you have adequate lighting, but a small amount a couple times a week won't hurt.

If you want to do some spot feeding (which i recommend) use a mixture of phytoplankton, amino acids and gut loaded mysis shrimp 3 times a week you will notice a significant difference.

Just gave this a whirl today......dropped a few pieces of mysis onto each polyp and sure enough, out came the tentacles and down when the shrimp. Wound up feeding an entire cube of VE mysis...the coral swallowed it all down, and then puffed up into an almost spherical shape for around 20 minutes before settling back to its normal self.

So, odd question, how do you know when the thing is "full"?

You don't half to use the whole cube use a 1/2 cube and your fish will eat the rest, best way is a mixture of what I said earlier then use a syringe about 2" from it just let the mixture flow to the coral.

you do not want to feed a wellsophyllia phytoplankton. small pieces of meaty foods.

Thats what I thought - which is why I went with the mysis. I plan on picking up some cocktail style shrimp from the local supermarket, as well as some frozen squid (both of which I'll shred/chunk) so that I can offer some variety. I'm sure the firefish won't object either.

Back
Top Bottom