Please name those corals.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you guys help me to name thouse two corals I got couple days ago. The LFS was not sure!!!! Yes that is right. I'd like to now so I can search internet to see hoe to keep them happy. Thanks.

the first looks like merulina, but i can't be sure without a clearer pic.
the second might be digitata, or possibly porites.

the first looks like merulina, but i can't be sure without a clearer pic.
the second might be digitata, or possibly porites.
I thougt that in LFS they said on that second coral that might be like Meliopora or something close to it? Don't you think?

na..doesn't look like a millepora to me. but then again it's a bit blurry. does it get a bit hairy looking when the polyps are out. here, does it resemble any of these?-
millepora - Google Search
There is so many of them. Some of them looks close to mine. Yes it has little green hair when my MH are on. Thanks very much. I know it is hard to tell and my camera is old too so it is hard to get good shot.

The first one looks like an encrusting Montipora sp. to me.
eee.. I'm not sure I have several montiporas but all of them are hard when you touch them, like a rock but this one covers the rock and is soft like carpet it almost moves when the flow hits it. and it is very hairy.

I got a better pick of first coral. And second one too.

Attachments

• Photo0020.jpg
    Photo0020.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Photo0019.jpg
    Photo0019.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 98
definitely merulina. as for the second, it could be a millepora. it appears to have flatworms on it. maybe that's why the polyps aren't out completely.

definitely merulina. as for the second, it could be a millepora. it appears to have flatworms on it. maybe that's why the polyps aren't out completely.
O no...!!! Are you sure. I never had flat worms before. Should I take it out of my DT? Are thouse dengerous to other corals?

no. i'm not sure, but it does look as though they are on it. examine it closely, and see if you can spot the brownish worms. if so, they don't go out of their way to hurt corals, but they do group on the corals and "sun themselves" and this stresses the coral. read this article, and the attached links. if they are indeed on it, i would simply remove that piece of coral, and dip it in fresh water. the flatworms will fall off like they were sprayed with raid.

Feature Article: Evaluation of Chemical Eradication Methods of Acoels (Acoelomorpha) From Marine Aquaria | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Flatworm_city.jpg

Back
Top Bottom