Purplue stuff??!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
K what is this purple stuff???? It's on the sand.

Attachments

• image-3186173685.jpg
    image-3186173685.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 94
sugar water purple! lol i had to... but i am not too sure what that is but i think its coraline algea. friend of mine had it

Coralline is hard and usually grows on rocks and surfaces not necessarily on the sand. I have a TON of coralline and its never been on my sand. That stuff looks stringy and mushy, I had a tiny bit of it in my one tank and it was cyano i believe.
:)

Carey is right, it's Cyanobacteria for sure. Add some flow to that area and syphon it out, replenish with fresh mixed saltwater. It's due to an excess of nutrients in the system. If you have no corals you can also do a lights out period for a couple days.

whoops ha im not very knowledgable with sw tanks, just remeber the color. I do think you are right!

a lights out period will not do anything but make it appear to be gone. when the lights come back on, if nothing else has changed, it will surely come back.

That's why you would change the water as well, pull out the extra nutrients and waste. Preventative maintenance on cyanobacteria is always easier, but sometimes it happens.

Thank you all for even responding. Even if some of you were a bit off, I really appreciate it. :) I will work on it asap. :)

Back
Top Bottom