Slug/Snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just fund this under a rock, it has a oval shaped hard shell on top, 2 eyes and two feelers/tenticals... It is about an inch long.

Any clue as to what it is and if I should put it back in the tank?

slug1.jpg

slug2.jpg

Thanks steve, I had him in a hold tank till I could ID and I let him loose again seeing as how he is not a threat to the tank.

Scientific Name: Stomatella varia
Classification: Mullusca
Common Names:

Description:
Stomatella look like a cross between a snail and slug. Their shell is fairly flat and inconspicuous compared to most snails. They are brownish green in color and seem to stay under about 3/4" in length. Stomatella can move very quickly for a snail.

Good or Bad?:
Stomatella are good additions to the reef tank. They are herbivores and feed upon micro algae in the reef tank.

Notes:
Stomatella are active day or night, but come out mostly at night and are fairly secretive during the day. A look at the tank walls after dark with a flashlight will usually spot this critters if they are present in the tank. They will reproduce in the reef tank, but don't seem to reach nuisance population levels. Breeding has been observed during the daytime with all individuals climbing up to high points on the live rock and simultaneously releasing their eggs and sperm into the water. This can cause the tank water to look milky for a short time, but is nothing to worry about. The filter feeders get to eat well when this occurs.

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/stomatella_varia.htm

I have a bunch of these in my tank, and I just happened to see one releasing its stuff tonight. I was watching the tank, and I noticed what looked like smoke inside of it. I then saw one of the slugs releasing it into the water. I looked to be coming out of a tube next to his feelers. Strange.

I have noticed these in my tank for about 3 months, at first I saw just one, now I bet I have close to 20 small ones in there.

They are broadcast spawners so most likely it was releasing reproductive matter into the water column. They are univalves, not nudibrancs.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom