strangers in paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keysfishfinder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some help, friend of mine gave me a couple pieces from his aquarium. I know it is some type of snail, but not sure what is growing on his back. And the Rock has some orangish/red stuff growing on it. I put these in my holding tank until I find out what they are :confused:.

My regular tank is a FOWLR 120g.

Thanks for the help :silly:

Attachments

• snail_ID1.jpg
    snail_ID1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 57
  • what_is_this1.jpg
    what_is_this1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 50
  • snail_ID2.jpg
    snail_ID2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 58
I guess the orange stuff looks like some type of sponge. I have some like that but its yellow.

Looks like an astrea or maybe turbo snail. The stuff on it looks like hair algae. The other two things look like encrusting sponges.

Second look at the snail, the feathery look to the algae growing on it, it may be briopsis.

I would clean as much of the algae off the snail as you can. No worries about the sponges.

Isn't briopsis really really invasive? If so, I sure wouldn't want ANY of that stuff in my tank - that snail would be a goner.

I'm not certain it is briopsis, it's really hard to tell from the photo, and now that the hermits are eating it, I'm thinking it is just hair algae.

After 2 days of work by the hermits, The snail now looks like a 45 year old man with a bad comb over. I will try to get a couple other photos of the remaining growth.

Back
Top Bottom