Type of arcopora? any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up this huge specimen and all I know is it's an arcopora. it stand about 3 inches high and is a few inches wide.

Here's a picture. Any one know what type it is? I snapped a shot after I threw in some coral food. Looks like it was hungry. :-D

img_1333082_0_d5ff4714cce3e84ff4f038dcfcc8fdce.jpg

"The Coral Finder is a new coral identification guide from the Coral Identification Capacity Building Program (CICBP). The CICBP wants to train everyone on how they can better recognize the key features of certain coral groups down to the genus level or better. Many of the old salts will scream bloody murder that you can’t reasonable identify a coral down to the species level without close microscopic examination, litmus test and radioisotopic fluoroscopy but the CICBP was formed to show us all how to do it with our own two eyeballs and keen attention to details. Surely we won’t be able to tell the difference between very closely related species of Acropora but at least this kind of guide will get us that much closer. Furthermore, the Coral Finder guide is closely tied into the identifications of Veron’s Corals of The World so that you may use the Coral FInder as a starting point for identification, and follow through with COTW once you get topside, or dry fragging hands."

I just got a similar looking coral from Dr. Mac called Purple Monster. That could be an ORA name or a Dr. Mac name.

The above quote is the best I can do for you other than according to Eric Borneman's book Aquarium Corals , it is probably Phylum:Cnidaria, Class:Anthozoa: Order: Scleractinia, Family: Acroporidae

Thanks for the reply Cmor, I appreciate the input. i didn't realize how many different ones there were! I think I can be good knowing its an acro.

Thanks again. :)

I recall watching a program on the oceans with a focus on the coral seas. They reported that although we have identified over 600 corals, genetically it was actually about half that number. It seems that corks really do follow currents around the world. Depending on the flow, light, and depth of where they land they could look very different. Table, branching, columnar could all be the same coral, but look very differently.

The coral you buy may turn out very different in your tank depending on light and flow.

Back
Top Bottom