What is this on the back of my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have found this scattered spread of small white things on the back of my tank for the second time now, the first time the 3 stripe damsels picked until gone.. now about 7-10 days later they are back but in a different place.

I was inclined at first to think its my two perc clowns laying eggs but since im a noob at this I thought I would pose the question to the pros.

I have, 3 three stripe damsels (teh devil), yellow tang, blue tang, purple damsel, blue damsel, maroon clown, 2 perc clowns.

They are VERY small, but yes I feel that have a foot ball shape to them, and whitish clear in color.

Are they moving around (in teeny-tiny little circles) or are they stationary? If you see movement, they might be pods. I didn't know what they were when I first got them either. If they ARE, then that's a good thing.

Hope that helps.

--Aquabear

I defiantly saw movement, they are well below power head level and they seem to move independently of one another IE: not all in the same direction.. but again they are very small and hard to see exactly whats going on.

Definitely sounds like pods (copepods, amphipods). These are tiny little detritivores and will help perform the last stage of nitrification. They are also very delicious for tank inhabitants. I have them growing in my tank, and everytime one of the snails or starfish finds a patch of them, it eats them voraciously, leaving clean glass behind.

I asked the same question in one of the SW forums a few months back (I thought it was ich or some other parasite) and the feedback consensus was that the presence of pods is an indicator of a very healthy tank. In fact, in the refugium I'm building, I plan on trying to cultivate them to help feed my flock.

I'm by no means a pro, but I think you're just fine.

--Aquabear

Back
Top Bottom