What is this tiny sea star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buxndux

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. Just saw this little sea star in my tank. He's very small and has six legs. I have zoa and plan on getting other corals at some point. My friend said I should kill it but I wanted to learn more first. Thanks!

It is an asternia star. Thats just about as big as they get. I have many in the tank. Never had any issues with them.

I have plenty of zoas in my tank for 15+ yrs now and they have never bothered them. I have 50 or 60 asternias on the glass and who knows how many in the 200 lbs of live rock. I`ve never seen any documentation that they do but I do have plenty of experience that they dont.

I have seen 3 asterina starfish in my tank. They come out at night. I think one was hungry because over night it ate my zoa frag. Little buggers If I see them down they go in the porcelain bowl.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just make it routine to suck them out while doing water changes , I can't stand them as they just keep multiplying , some will get the taste for zoa's but not all do ,
I even had a few slip by radar and turn into small serpent stars , the white/gray ones usually are the ones that turn into small serpents , the white/orange always get hungry for zoa's and the all white ones are just a big pain in the butt as they just keep multiplying , I'd get a harlequin shrimp but my other invert would kill him , meaning my lobster

Back
Top Bottom