What is this? With Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishead

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had this shroom rock for 8 months, and always thought that the shell was just imbedded in the rock and dead. My mushrooms have been reproducing and moving and now it is easy to see that the the shell is opening and closing. I really didn't notice until yesterday when I removed the rock to pluck some bubble algea. It squirted me! Is it a clam? It seems to be a clam. It has lived for several months without special lighting. I have barely 4 watts per gallon. Is it filter feeding? Will it continue to stay alive?

Also What is this white stuff? It seems to be getting bigger. It is growing below the same rock. Is it the Bubble Algea spreading? It is white with small holes in it. Not Moldy looking.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• clam_136.jpg
    clam_136.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 165
  • whitestuff.jpg
    whitestuff.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 266
The white thing is some kind of sponge, definitely beneficial for the tank. Can't see in the pic if thats a clam or not, but a friend of mine recieved some live rock with a tiny clam living in a small crevice. It didn't survive long though.

Here is another picture of the clam. It is really small so difficult to photo.

Attachments

• clam2.jpg
    clam2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 182
I agree the white stuff is a sponge. The other thing is probably a clam. If it's been in your tank for 8months, I would imagine it's happy right were it's at and will continue to thrive.

i have one jamed in the side of a rock and it turns side to side every few days for the last year
i dont give it any special care and it seems to be fine even though i want to dig it out of the rock sometimes just for the heck of it

You asked if the clam was filter feeding, and the answer would be "yes". Clams/Oysters/scallops/sponges tend to be difficult to keep because of their feeding needs. Not impossible, just a bit more difficult.

it looks like a turkey wing clam to me, i have one that came with my liverock a month ago and is doing great. it shifts around and opens and closes so funny when anything like a crab or a a snail are on its back, like its trying to shake them off. nice guy to have. the white stuff is definately a sponge. i also have a few of those. congrats on your finds! heres a pic of my clam...

Attachments

• im001064.jpg
    im001064.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 89
Regular plain clams don't need the heavy lighting like the tridacna clams need. In fact they sell plain clams very cheaply to put in your fuge or sump to keep your nitrates down and they don't need special lighting.

I have a video that I took of a clam trying to shake a snail from it. It is really cool to watch. It is really big though. I don't have the tool right now to downsize it so d/l at your own risk (12M)! He's right next to another big clam that I have and above that is another one almost as big that looked like it was inside of the rock. I had no idea it was alive until I saw it close the other day. Almost all of the rock I got from my LR.com order has a clam of some sort on it. I have about 5 different varieties if I have 1.

http://www.schiavone.us/reef/PB260757.MOV

Back
Top Bottom