What Kind of Coral is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked this guy up at the lfs and forgot the name of this piece. I was told that it would do well under pc lighting, is this correct? Also should I feed it meat it seems to have a bunch of small mouths all over it. Sorry about the pic but the colors are pink and green. Any help would be appreciated. TIA....

Attachments

• img032_613.jpg
    img032_613.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 199
Looks like a brain that looks like its bleaching. I would try and place it as high in the tank as you can get away and also try feeding it and see if the colors start to come back.

Slow down a second. If you just got it do not move it. Let it settle in first.

What kind of lighting/what size tank?

I wouldn't put it as high in the tank as possible. They are not a high light coral and to much light can be detrimental more than helpful. If it's bleached (and I'm not convinced it is but maybe) it will regain it's color without being blasted by light. It also should be on the sandbed. Placing it on rock or near rock, could irritate the delicate tissue and cause tissue necrosis. It's also a semi aggressive lps and should be given it's own "space" and not snug up against other corals. If everything is current in your info area, your lights should be fine for this type of coral. As for type of coral, I agree it looks like an open/folded brain coral. Possibly a Trachyphyllia. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the replies. Its a 29 gallon with 135 watts of pc lighting (50/50). I bought it under actinic lighting and didn't see the some of bleaching, if it is. It was also sitting under metal halides at 150 watts in a huge tank. The base of the coral is decent size rock and made sure when I placed it that none of the tissue was touching rocks. I'm gonna feed it tonight and see if it takes. At night time it has long tentacles that come out the pink area and are very responsive to its surroundings (closing up when anything comes near). The pink area seems like it is losing some of the pink and the green in the middle has a brownish tint to it. What do you guys think I should do in terms of placement and light. Should I let it settle in before I move it? By the way, water parameters are very stable (all sitting at zero) with salinity a little high at 1.026. TIA.....

coral

I think you should leave it where it is, and see how it does. As Fluff stated they like the sand.

Your light is not the best but I think it will be ok.

And, 150 watts of MH is not a lot of light in a "huge" tank but you have to realize it is not all about wpg. MH can penetrate much deeper so it is hard to compare the two.

Would the brown be a result of too much light or not enough light? And as far as the pink goes, if it is bleaching is that the result of two much light or not enough light? I would assume that the two are some what linked together? I know I have a lot of questions, but I never really understood brains. I've had a maze brain for a couple of months in the sand and its colors haven't changed and looks healthy. Brain lighting just never clicked with me, especially the ones with nice colors.

Corals can often turn brown if there is not enough light, and bleach with to much.

First of all, I do not think it is bleached.

Again, dont worry about it especially if you have another doing well. Let it settle in.

I agree with Cindy as she gave you some excellent advice. They have to be on the substrate. From the info I read on your tank you have enough light so leave him on the sand and I`m sure you`ll be OK. Here is a couple pics of my brains and their placement on the sand

Attachments

• 100_0169_652.jpg
    100_0169_652.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_0174_673.jpg
    100_0174_673.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 15
Those are some really beautiful pieces. Thanks for all the advice, im just gonna move it down to the substrate and take it from their. Hopefully I wont have to ask any more questions and get a good recovery.

Back
Top Bottom