Testing Out New Camera (nx300): Planted Tank 17g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings again J.
I really enjoyed browsing your pictures. Great shots. The Sigma 150 is an awesome lens. I checked out the sites and reviews on it. However at this time it's a little too dear for me. We're saving for a trip to Ireland this summer. Hoping to get some great shots with the 5300 while I'm over there. I am also a WW2 history buff as I was raised by that generation. I love the warplane models you have. I grew up listening to the guys who flew the American planes over there during that time. My personal favorite is the Jug (P47). Not as glamorous as the Spitfire or Mustang but the grunts loved their ground support capabilities. OS.

Greetings again J.
I really enjoyed browsing your pictures. Great shots. The Sigma 150 is an awesome lens. I checked out the sites and reviews on it. However at this time it's a little too dear for me. We're saving for a trip to Ireland this summer. Hoping to get some great shots with the 5300 while I'm over there. I am also a WW2 history buff as I was raised by that generation. I love the warplane models you have. I grew up listening to the guys who flew the American planes over there during that time. My personal favorite is the Jug (P47). Not as glamorous as the Spitfire or Mustang but the grunts loved their ground support capabilities. OS.

I'm going to keep this short, I don't want to hijack this thread.

1, . . .because it's (almost) about a camera that comes first, yes the sigma is a lot! It is well worth saving for, it is my benchmark standard. The no1 goto lens. I've only had it a year but I've got way more than its value in use so far.

2, model kits/WWII, :D cheers, you will hear more from me in PM. Mostly about planes, big fan of military aviation USAF and RAF centred on WWII.

3, thank you OS, sorry (a bit) @brian.

4, enjoy Ireland, I haven't been there (1980 Northern Ireland Ira) but the countryside in the south sure looks nice! Soon I will start travelling the earth!

I don't mind the conversations... I've never been annoyed or considered hijacking, hijacking. Carry on fellas :)

If you guys don't mind, however, please post pictures and discuss anything related to cameras in this thread I started. It's specifically for DSLR and MILC.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298298

It's pretty stagnant and all I see in terms of high quality pics are coming from SW folks on SW topic specific threads (even so I invited SW peeps to post, too).

Last edited:
Back on topic,

Will do. Sorry Brian for getting way off topic. Here's a couple I still had on my hard drive from the D5100.
The landscape was taken looking out from deep shade outward to the brighter open and water. I had to go aperture preferred two F-stops two keep the side details bright enough. Hand held 35mm setting.
The cat pic was soft focused inward. OS.

Attachments

• By my secret spot.jpg
    By my secret spot.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 51
  • My Blue Eyed Princess 2004.jpg
    My Blue Eyed Princess 2004.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 50
Phew!

Nobody got hurt!

What a civilised world we live in.

Os that pic at the top looks like a nice place to be with a camera, and everybody loves animal pictures, that's not a bad thing either. Basically two ticks from me.

About camera settings, I started off briefly with the a/s settings but the camera did it's thing and wasn't thinking like me. I quickly got into manual mode, it's quite simple, the camera has little blinker lights in it to tell you when your over or under, it's almost second nature to me now. I say this because I'd consider myself only really AAA, above average amateur. I've only been shooting for 16 months. Also the stop and ISO among other things are available in the view finder. You need to have apache pilot eyeballs but you get used to it! What else, the most important discovery about cameras was hyperfocal theory. That taught me the most about my kit (and every other camera type thing). It applies everywhere a lens is concerned.

:popcorn:

Will do. Sorry Brian for getting way off topic. Here's a couple I still had on my hard drive from the D5100.
The landscape was taken looking out from deep shade outward to the brighter open and water. I had to go aperture preferred two F-stops two keep the side details bright enough. Hand held 35mm setting.
The cat pic was soft focused inward. OS.

Nice pics, OS... but wrong thread my friend :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/post-your-dslr-or-mirrorless-ilc-pics-here-298298.html

Brian - My only suggestion is to watch the ISO. When you get past 400 or so, you start getting grainy in the background. Without a softbox, it's pretty difficult to keep the ISO down if you're shooting moving objects, but possible with some practice (or a lot of practice... or a ton of practice)

I have a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens... loved it while I had an aquarium. Now it's just sitting in the camera bag waiting on someone to buy it haha. I almost exclusively use my Tamron 28-75 2.8, and sometimes use my Canon 70-200 2.8 L. Don't have an aquarium to take pics of though. Macro is the way to go on an aquarium IMO

What no aquarium and you're a mod in an aquarium forum? What happened, lose interest? Didn't you win an aquarium in that contest? Anyways, thanks for the tips on the photos. I still have a lot to learn. Kind of reminds me when I was such a newb in this forum. It was a fun and exciting process to learn something new and venture in to uncharted waters.

Ha... yes, I lost interest. I was tired of throwing gobs of cash at something that really limited me in taking vacations without worrying, power outages, etc... and I just really didn't enjoy fish.

Did you really just lose interest or was it like an intervention, like on Hoarders, but with aquariums? LOL

Your slogan under your user name makes it sound like an AA meeting, and I'm not talking about Aquarium Advice! ;)

Back
Top Bottom