250G DIY Project (Newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quasite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am a newby but playing with the idea of building a 250G tank. I know I could start small and purchase one, but I like having projects to play with. With that said I am looking for some guidance or things I might need to think about when building this tank?

I am looking to build with the dimensions (LxWxH): 1500mm x 400mm x 1750mm. Attached is a quick sketchup of the idea.

This idea is for a "slimmer" tank along a wall, that has enough room for a stand should I need one.

I believe I would be using Glass over Acrylic, but I am unsure as to which kind of glass, or how thick it would need to be for such a big tank. I read online a margin of safety around 3x?

Would the base need to be thicker than the walls of the tank too?

As for holes and a base unit, I am unsure how all of the systems will work yet but guidance on that is a big help!

Hopefully, Once completed I will be able to upload it here!

Attachments

• Tank Idea.jpg
    Tank Idea.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 23
Well I won't be so much help for the build, but can easily see how it would be very exciting.

If you compare other tanks of the same /similar size, then you will see the thickness of glass used.

Have you build any smaller tanks?

Some very popular styles are the low sides for Wabi-Kusa balls like this and smaller for the balls

https://www.studioaquatica.com/blog/2019/8/2/wabi-kusa-nano-pond

You could help fund your project perhaps by making interesting things before the big build.

Other types are plywood and fiberglass.

Back
Top Bottom