2x4 tank stand for 75 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm getting started on planning my 75 gallona aquarium stand. I've made one previously which work great, no problems with it. I waa wondering though, how far apart I can space the vertical 2x4 between the corners? The one I'm using now has 2 vertical supports evenly space from the sides. So 48" divided by 3 (the number of open spaces / cabinets) is 16". Is 24" too far apart for the load of the fish tank on the stand? I.e. Only one vertical support under the center of the tank?

I will add a simple drawing when I have a chance.
Thanks in advance, I hope my description isn't too diffucult to understand.

Depending on how you plan to construct your stand, you will not need any vertical supports besides those at the corners. I have a 125g tank: 60"x18"x26". I've made a diy stand using 2x4 and 2x6s. There are no vertical supports except for at the 4 corners. The load of the tank is being supported only by the corner supports. I haven't had any problems with it.

Here's the best drawing I could do using a piece of paper as a straight-edge and I apologize for the quality of the photo my phone took.

img_1545900_0_2840335bf1fc4da1aae693032a0ee6fd.jpg

Well you can see I've got the long 2x4s for the lengths of the tank and they attach outside (above and below) the shorter 2x4s for the depth (or width? anyway, not height) Another set of the shorter 2x4s are cut minus 7 inches to fit inside the long 2x4s so that the top and bottom are flush with the tank and floor. I did not draw in any center supports but I'm thinking just a center one should be suffiecient.

I had an old stand similar to this design using 4x4s. Unfortunately one warped and that was the end of my tank. Can i suggest to use two 2x4's at each corner instead? Also, is there any reason that there are 2x4s along the depth (bottom left and right of picture)? Wouldn't it be stronger to have 4 pieces of 2x4s as your bottom in one plane, and have the vertical corner supports attached to the bottom frame?

img_1546002_0_e5b0d653314f9b51faee02f583efa4c1.jpg

I don't know why I keep only drawing the bottom and cutting off the top...

Anyway, When you mention putting two 2x4s together, I just want to make sure I understand that you mean as in a “4x4” and not perpendicular to make an “L” shape. I wish I’d known that before, makes me wearing about a leg twisting and 75 gallons of water going everywhere.. As for using four 2x4s together in a single plane, they are in a sense. At first I considered cutting the corners at 45 degrees to join them but was concerned that if there was any twist or warping they wouldn’t join flush. So my design was to use the ~18” 2x4s (Red Boards) to attach the legs for the depth and then using the ~48” 2x4s (Green Boards) to attach the lengths which go “over” the 18” boards. Then because there would be a 1.5” gap under the 18” boards, I cut 18 minus 7 (the width of two 2x4s) and use them to fill that space (Cyan boards). Also when I get home tonight I’ll take an post a picture of my current stand. I drew that in paint pretty quick so I help i gets the idea across. In effect it does make a full footprint on a single plane, it just take 2 layers to attach to the legs. But as I think about it, by putting two 2x4s in the center, that should be enough support. I don't mind doing it in thirds like my current one, but I will I had better access to the storage under the tank.

Thanks for the input so far, I very much appreciate it!

Lose the 4 x 4 as they warp like crazy. Also when you lay 2 x 4 on it's side, there is a better chance of it warping, and it doesn't have near the strength of a 2 x 4 on edge.

Yeah. Have the 2x4 on edge.

And as for the 2x4's, I do not mean as in a 4x4. I do mean having them perpendicular as an L shape. Having them in an "L" shape will give your stand more stability.

Here's a picture of the stand. Hope i'm linking it correctly.

Attachments

• tank stand.jpg
    tank stand.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 625
That's great, I really like it! Here's what I have on my current 75 gal stand. I actually ended up doing it differently that I had originally planned, which is what's shown above.

img_1546287_0_21aed13ef662cb9b90c930b61c9e47a5.jpg

You can see the 4x4 is vertical and next to it is a 2x4 for the stand's depth. Under and on top of the 4x4 is 2x4.

img_1546287_1_09c8c4d939df20783ba478ded7fbee7a.jpg

This is the stand, you can see that on either side of the center opening is paneling and behind either one is 2x4. You can see the doors are rather skinny. I should have used thinner 1x boards for that trim. So really there is plenty more support for the tank than just the 4x4s.

But I like you're frame. Very simple but definitely built solid.

Yeah. Good call on the extra boards for extra support.

Is that pine you used to skin the frame? Looks nice!

Thanks! Yes, I used 1 inch pine. Although it dents and scratches easily, it's very affordable and I love the look of it. I think I may to a combination of what I did for my current stand and yours with the corners. I'll have to think a little on how I want to piece it together, but I will have a center support, that way I can also have a seam for cabinet doors. I'll have the 2x4s on their 'sides' for the tank and floor.

My 29 gallon tank stand is still bare-bone. Although it had some trim, but when I moved it after building the current 75 I never re-decorated it. But I can't do too much with it because I have a 10 gallon under it for QT.

Boy, am I excited to build another stand!:dance:

I did some drawing last night thinking about how I'd like to build the stand. Here's what I came up with.

Front and Side View

img_1547253_0_9e5dc6a850f41c065134c50abe7ccd40.jpg

Top View

img_1547253_1_f7b75ca48db3199769d35a1f8889a2c5.jpg

It has 2x6s for the corners and top edges, the bottom is 2x4, and there are 2x4s for bracing the corners. I will be using 90-deg. braces, too, for added strength.

Those are really good plans! I like them alot. I feel a lot better about those 2x6s than the 4x4s. I still have shivers about the night i came downstairs after one of the 4x4s warped and my whole tank crashed.

After thinking about my own frame, I wish I had decided to go with pine. I didn't realize it wasn't too expensive. I totally agree with you. Although pine dents and gets scratched easily, it has a lot more character to it. Next tank i think i'm definitely going that route. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rick! Would you recommend I rebuild my current stand? It does have those additional 2x4s and I don't know how to move a tank with fish in it. I'm not opposed to rebuilding but would hope it's not necessary.

Rebuilding your current stand is really up to you. That's going to be a lot of work to have to fix it up. I just shudder at 4x4s after my experience. If you have other 2x4s helping to bear the weight incase one warps, you should be ok. If you decide not to rebuild, i highly suggest to make sure to check those 4x4s as part of your regularly scheduled PWC. If you notice it warping, you can always rebuild then.

Yup, and thanks for sharing that pine cabinet. It's really got my mind churning on the next future build.

I'm glad to hear that. When I get home I will search my computer for pictures of the build, I'm pretty sure I should hav some. I will at least post better looking pictures of the finished stand. My blackberry has horrible white balance so everything is usually tinted blue or colors are washed out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom