Above aquarium....aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so the idea is definitely out there. I've watched a couple of YouTube videos about this and I think this would be a great unique thing to add to a home aquarium. I have some fears though of flooding my living room or whatever unforeseen problems this could cause.

The idea is adding a glass or acrylic chamber like an old fish tank so the open end is below the water line then sucking out the air so the water fills the empty chamber. Thus allowing fish to swim freely in and out. Simple and easy as that and adding more water. (hopefully)

Most videos show this in an outdoor pond but a couple show this being done in smaller aquariums.

What are your guys thoughts on doing something like this for a 110 gal saltwater tank? My final vision of this being done is a stack of live rock in pile/pilar formation coming out of the tank...then the chamber being placed overtop and filled with water.

If you run a sump to keep the water level constant, then I would say go for it as long as you can figure out the lighting situation. Just keep enough room in the sump to hole the extra volume of the added tank in case something were to happen to prevent any flooding.

I was thinking about that and there shouldn't be any reason for the vacuum to fail unless the water level falls below the rim of the upside down aquarium OR too much air becomes trapped by small bubbles....or the aquarium on top fails and breaks. at least that I can think of.

I have a sump setup and I would install this upside down tank below where my overflow sits so the overflow would stop water drain well before the upside down tank would catch air.

I just measured and I have a spare 10 gal that is 20" long by 10" wide that I could try this with if I had something to hold it in place. I'm thinking I'd install a small power head into the new tank to help water move in and out.

The only think that could cause it to fail is a failure of the tank itself.

Aor can build up inside it, but that will only decrease the water level in the upper tank. This is why you would want to have plenty of spare room in the sump

Perfect thank you for your info and time.

and like you said lighting is going to be interesting. I already have to buy split lighting for my tank because of a huge center brace. so I'm thinking I'll have to get a 3rd light to put on the upside down tank. or make a cube shaped custom tank to better fit the opening I have and put my one light up top.

another thing is everyone I've seen do this stacks something like columns in the water to hold the tank. I want to add to the tank without taking away from it. I wonder if I can find some kind of reef safe hook that's strong enough to hold the upside down tank. that way it's the least intrusive on the original DT as possible. or maybe make something out of thick glass pieces glued to make resting hooks?

It depends on how large youre wanting to go with this tbh. For smaller projects (10g - 20g or so) you could suspend it from a few hooks in the wall. For bigger stuff you will need to get creative.

If you get creative with placement of rocks you could easily do a column or two and just hide it with live rock

How about, instead of doing your idea you instead make a dry part with live rock sticking out of the water for inverts to come out of the water and rest on. You would have to pick inverts that like both land and water, but it would be interesting to create an extra environment for your tank.

Or, if you want to go really crazy you could make a tidal zone that could be controlled by pumps to simulate the tides.

that is a really awesome idea. I love that and that way no extra water volume. and I could probably make a cheaper glass box without trim to rest on the lip of my aquarium to add a lid

Back
Top Bottom