Are you thinking of a black background??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went with regular sand,, I have been kicking myself for it too

I just set up a tank with river sand which looks ok with the stone scape i did but if i had enough black tone it would have been used. I probably only have 1/2 a 5litre bucket left. Black background is on but too big so it needs cutting down to size before taping it to the tank.

I've been using the vinyl that sign businesses use to letter vehicles. I take a spray bottle filled with water and a couple of drops of dish soap and spray it on the back of the tank. This gives an opportunity to slide it around. Peel the backing off. Set it on the back of the tank, adjust position and then squeegee the solution out starting from the center. This will work out any air bubbles as well. To remove lightly score the vinyl into strips with a pen knife and peel off. If it's difficult use a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting.

black rhino coat holds up better with salt water
makes everything pop directs light to the center piece
my new tank all 3 sides are getting done black
img_2788557_0_88d147c774e8df36e446a57be4343843.jpg

I often wondered how having the sides black would look. Only one side of my tank can be partially seen, it's in an alcove between the chimney and a wall. When I look directly into it, it looks like the side are mirrored. I supposed I would lose this effect???

Attachments

• DSCF9115.jpg
    DSCF9115.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 171
Ok, that's what I thought, but the comment about rhino paint working better with saltwater threw me off

i use car window tint film on the back and sides of my tanks. cost me under £10 for a 3m x .75m roll, it just peels off if you want to change backgrounds in the future.

I used acrylic paint, its not water proof but its easy to touch up, and when i needed to remove some for the suckers for my filter, it scrapes off real easy with a razor blade.

It was super easy, and it looks like this-
img_2815430_0_65cb86c6778102e19abaf1d30953741c.jpg

I wish to lose my crappy tape on background also and paint it black. I have a 92G corner tank that is full. Is there a paint i can use with a roller to apply this way I do not have to disturb my marine life by emptying the tank? My tank sits about 4-5 inches off of the wall so a roller with a small extension handle will fit.

In your case I would probably just get some dark window tint and put that on the back of the tank. No risk of chemicals/vapors getting in the tank and it will appear black since you don't have any light behind the tank. Limousine tint will work.

In your case I would probably just get some dark window tint and put that on the back of the tank. No risk of chemicals/vapors getting in the tank and it will appear black since you don't have any light behind the tank. Limousine tint will work.

So I will have to drain the tank and pull it out from the wall? I'm guessing latex paint from lowes will not work?

Sure. Just like oxygen gets inside the water, so can something else.

Good point. So if I completely cover the water surface for 48 hours during and after should it be ok. I will be using a no odor paint. And will latex stick to glass? And generally what finish of paint do most use. I.e. Flat,eggshell, semigloss, or high gloss?

Back
Top Bottom