D I Y metal halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
i want two 250 halides and would like to save some cash when upgrading to a 75 gal any advice on ballasts and other parts i may need in doing this project ive looked for parts but im not very good at surfing so if theirs any diagrams and parts and such anyone knows about please let me know

DIY is really easy on lights if you are comfortable with wiring. I have built all the equipment I use except for the tank itself. If you look at HelloLights.com and aquauniverse.com they sell parts and have some instructions on how to do it. As for what you will need, my suggestion is not to skimp! Buy the electronic ballasts, not the magnetic ones. The only way I would ever use the magnetic ballasts was if I had a very secure place to lock up the boxes becasue the generate massive amounts of heat while the electronic ones give almost nothing off. Other than that, it depends on taste whether you go with Single or double ended, but remember that a DE bulb must have a glass cover to keep the UV from the fish and you. The benefit is that they are smaller and some say have a slightly more intense light. Good luck and let everyone know how things turn out.

250 watts on ebay

a person on ebay is selling some on and off $90-115. for bulb and a ballast and a reflector i dont know how good the are but i would say the look descent. 10000K. i would say go with this.

If you do go with a magnetic ballast, I have heard of people buying a metal tool box and putting a grommet through the side for the cord. This way if you put the ballast inside, no one can accidentally touch it and you could place it out of the way. The ventilation may be an issue with overheating though, thsu the reason I only use the electronic ballasts.

Back
Top Bottom