DIY canister filter for nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blasterx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to get your input on an idea I've had. I'd like to add some extra bio filtration in my 12g nano but don't have any idea how I could manage to build a sump with a tank like that that's already setup and almost a year old.

I tried to buy a canister filter off ebay but that didn't work out too well. I was going to fill it with live rock and I thought that would also give the water a little more movment as well as provide a little extra filtration.

So here's my horrible little drawing

Attachments

• DIY filter.jpg
    DIY filter.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 4,119
The water would be pulled out of the tank via a small pump, I'm not sure which pump would do the job. The hose would be about three feet long so the pump wont have to be very powerful, but must be powerful enough to pull out the tank, push thru the rubble and back out the other side in to the tank again.

So first thing I guess is do you think the general idea is sound?

Next question would be what kind of canister, it has to be able to close tight enough so that the pressure cause leaking. I was looking at things like this:

Plastic Pails And Lids

But I'm just not sure. The tank sits on a small TV stand which is about 2 feet off the ground and has a small area inside where I could store a tank if it were say a rectangular box.

I had thought about doing a sump but just don't see how I could easily drain the water from an established tank without drilling and such.

Also I am thinking I could build something like this for cheap, easily lass than $100.

I think thats a nice design!

The only suggestion I have is to get an inline pump and connect it to the canister so it pulls water out of the tank, through the filter, into the pump, and back into the tank.

I think it works better but that's just me.

The power of the pump is also an issue, too strong and the PSI could be too great for the container, too low and it's not enough to force it in and back out again. In this design the water flow enters at the bottom and exits via the path of least resistance at the top.

I guess the plus side of using a larger container also is volume. If my container is 5 gallon, and my tank 12, now I have 17 gallons of water, minus the obvious live rock, sand, and critters in the tank and filter...

Look in the classifieds, there is a guy selling a Rena xp2 for $50. I pmd him and shipping was only $10. You couldnt build a canister for less than that.
The Rena xp2 will be more than enough for your tank.
Just trying to help.

I built my canister filter for a 10G tank and it works great.

Here are some pics:
img_986536_0_f2632cb2b3ab19e3f0512b0474f5f516.jpg

img_986536_1_88ea9740952acc5b2a5b3a619980bcb8.jpg

Like I said, the basic idea I had was to pull the water through the canister instead of push it. that way leaks are easier to fix. Second, the inline pump (A pentair Quiet One 1200) doesn't add alot of heat to the water. The canister I used was from walmart. it's a "lock'n'lock" brand somewhere with the plastic containers.

img_986536_2_39b0c796356c249f85f5c4b223e5f210.jpg

Something like this would almost be perfect except I wouldn't be able to add the eggcrate.

That looks great, I had first thought about a canister like that but I wasn't sure if it would leak, I guess not! :)

Yea the "lock'n'lock" ones have a clamp on lid and a gasket. Making them water and pressure tight :D.

I just stick some filter floss in there and some mini bio balls and it keeps the water crystal clear.

The price of the pump looks to be about $20 plus shipping. Some vinyl tubing, fittings, gaskets, the lock'n'lock, I bet I can get this done for <$50

Yea most of the stuff I used on mine was junk I had laying around. The pump I actually used in my PC water cooling system for a week or two o_O.

Good luck!

I have the pump from an old water cooling rig I thought about using for this BUT I wonder if it would be safe for the critters as it pumped coolant for several years and I don't know what kind of residue might be leftover and what effects it could have on the biology. I guess I could hook it up and let it run for awhile pulling a diluted bleach mixture for a few days

I don't know it may be worth 20 bucks to play it safe. The pump was too big for my PC so it was only used for testing with distilled water. I got lucky I guess :D.

what about using a large PVC pipe. you could seal the end and the other end could be threaded. ugly....yes. but it would tolerate the pressure and fulfill your needs with the rubble/bio-balls.

HTH
Mark

Good point, I thought doing this way might be easier should I have to clean it but PVC would work, I could place it in the cabinet under the tank so the ugly factor would be a non-issue.

But this brings up a good point, rubble vs. bio balls.
I seem to remember reading about a lot of peoples dislike for bio balls and just assumed they must be "bad".

Whats your take?

i personally used both. the live rubble (if gotten from a reputable supplier) would be quicker (to help with biological filtration) bu the bio balls will not exude the ammonia like rubble will/might.

the one thing with using Pvc is that it will be pitch black so the rubble algea will most likely die. so might thoughts personally would be the bio-balls.

you could do something like this:

input from tank

sponge/floss

---egg crate------

bio-balls

---egg crate----

spacers

output to tank
this could be done like an in-line thing. does this make sense?

HTH

Mark​

I'm currently working on a very similar project...from what I've read, your design is good except the inlet and outlet should be on opposite ends (usually inlet on the bottom). Also, lock'n'locks are magical and wonderful...avoid normal rubbermaid type containers because they break down in the presence of water over time. Here are some links I've been looking at...when I get my hands on a water pump, I'll be posting a build on mine (I have a couple little changes I've made).

Petfrd.com - Resource Library - How to DIY a Canister Filter

DIY canister filter - DIY Aquarium Projects - Aquatic Plant Central

DIY cannister filter for nano. - Reef Sanctuary

Back
Top Bottom