DIY CO2 Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilminded

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started making my CO2 reactors yesterday and will be setting it up at my 10 gallon planted tank at work. I have a 2 liter bottle with a piece of tubbing going through hole to a check valve to a 500mL that will have so water in it to act as a counter/gas chamber. Then there will be another check valve coming off 2nd tubbing from 500mL going to a cut in half 500mL with sponges that will be in aquarium and positioned underneath intake of filter. My question is should I epoxy around the tubes in the caps? Also should I epoxy the tubing around check valves? Do I have to many check valves? Any help would be appreciated.

1 check valve is sufficient. I would add it between the tank and your gas separator bottle.

I would also recommend using silicon or epoxy around the place your tubing runs into the bottles. These things have to pressurize and any small leaks will negatively impact the effectiveness of your reactor vessels.

Welcome to AA by the way!

Ok thank you very much. I figured 2 check valves might be too much. Will be epoxying the caps today after I switch out the one check valve.

FYI on using Check valves with CO2: CO2 will eventually ruin a plastic check valve, so if you use one, be advised you will need to replace it every 6-12 months for it to be effective. You can find metal check valves which will last much longer, but they are also more expensive, and can be harder to find.

Thanks, I'm more familiar with metal as I use to work with compress gases before but I knot what I am making is low pressure. I'm planning on using this setup for a 40 gallon I have until I have money for a tank set-up. The epoxy is set and will post pics when set-up. Will do on Tuesday as its at work and will be working a half day tomorrow and will have more time to set up then. Thanks for help.

I got it going today, next batch I will have less water but here are the pics:

image-2736056145.jpg

Is the tank.

image-3776186274.jpg

Are the bottles with silicone lines epoxied to caps inside and out.

image-96883447.jpg

A look of where CO2 enters water. The set-up is a 500mL bottle with suction cup stuffed with 2 sponges where the line from gas/bubble counter bottle comes at the bottom.

image-2394188379.jpg

The bubble counter/gas bottle.

image-496988784.jpg

A better look at the DIY CO2 diffuser I mentioned.

Is there a better method that's free? I'm increasing contact time as a pocket builds and eventually releases bubbles with most going into filter intake. I plan of getting a glass diffuser for my home tank but its there a more inexpensive way of doing it?

I've done the same on my 36 bowfront with the exception of doing two 2 liter bottles and alternating them every 2 weeks. While not a perfect constant rate it does help to even it out when the other bottle is nearing its life. I have three check valves as well. Between the bottles and the separator (this keeps the pressure up while changing a spent bottle) and of course the one between the separator and the tank. Not I used plastic line because I heard that CO2 will leak through silicone. Any thoughts on this?

Plastic or vinyl chloride? I've seen CO2 personally eat through every tubing. With Silicone being cheap and could most likely hold a year, I decided to go with that as all I would have to do is get bottle caps to replace tubing. I have an extra check valve available when time is needed. I do have a question a bit off subject of this, with Iron ferts, how much ppm iron is going in and what kind of iron. The reason why I am asking is I work for the local water department and I get my water from the source for water changes. They use iron chloride with one of there processes which would increase your typical iron content. I'm courious if I can get away from Iron supplementing. If I can't, what type of Iron could I get that would be most beneficial. If your answer is hard to explain due to the science behind it, please unleash as I have a strong background in all Chemistries.

Between 0-0.1 ppm chelated Fe is appropriate though dosing up to 0.5 ppm or so won't have negative effects. Basically you just don't want to bottom out. Seachem Fe is a decent iron supplement.

Back
Top Bottom