DIY plant seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I'm experimenting again. First of all I don't know what seeds I have (got them off eBay) I'm just hoping this idea of mine will work. Pics:IMAG3414.jpg eco completeIMAG3422.jpgseedsIMAG3425.jpgtin foilIMAG3427.jpg15watt fluorescent tube bulb. And covered the top too. Day 1 this might be too much. But we'll see. I just what to document what I've done and if it works or not. So, we'll see!

Well, that’s a light box! Very curious to see what sprouts.
Me too. Probably just some carpet plants. But figured reflecting the light would increase my chances, if they are high light plants. And I'll probably get some Co2 if they take.

Well! Been checking everyday on this and this morning , 4-5 days after planting we have something. It's not much yet, but we have green. Lol! I added alittle more water yesterday. Took a glass of water and poured it down the side of the tank so I wouldn't move too many seeds. Could be just grass but, you never know. IMAG3498.jpg

Well! Been checking everyday on this and this morning , 4-5 days after planting we have something. It's not much yet, but we have green. Lol! I added alittle more water yesterday. Took a glass of water and poured it down the side of the tank so I wouldn't move too many seeds. Could be just grass but, you never know. View attachment 307096
I'm gonna water again today. And another note: I've kept the light on this whole time. Day and night.

Not to much experience with this , but I successfully started our tomato garden from seeds before (now buying ready seedlings from awesome source nearbuy). From what I know it is not a good idea to run light 24/7. But then it might be me unaware of some new agri technologies.

Not to much experience with this , but I successfully started our tomato garden from seeds before (now buying ready seedlings from awesome source nearbuy). From what I know it is not a good idea to run light 24/7. But then it might be me unaware of some new agri technologies.
There is nothing new about this process. Old light fixture and in order to hatch the seeds they need heat and water. But you gotta reduce the light as plants start to grow. I've grown lots of things, I am big on my garden, flower beds and lots of house plants. The heat from the light just helps them germinate. After spouts come alittle more I'll cut the light down to about 12 hours.

Alittle bigger today, along with more that have popped.
IMAG3502.jpgIMAG3501.jpgHum, wounder what they are???... bigger ones look more like the start of a plant. Not grass, but there are different types of grass. So time will tell. Keep watching. Lol! [emoji6]

The mystery continues. But it looks like grass.
I know it does. Just thought I'd see if they would grow. Didn't pay much for them. gives me something to do and gives others ideas to grow this way if they wanted.

I know it does. Just thought I'd see if they would grow. Didn't pay much for them. gives me something to do and gives others ideas to grow this way if they wanted.

Yeah, something fun to try on is nice. I have been trying to grow my anubias emersed for a week now.

Dwarf baby tears can be a challenge to grow in a tank. But with high humidity in potting soil next to a window with it is surprisingly easy IMG_5219.jpg I planted these a while back in case I ever wanted to grow it in a tank in the future

I would of done the plants in a window like that but mine are filled up. I got apple trees started, clippings from my house plants, elephant ear bulbs for my flower beds for spring, and it's still winter here for a few more wks. Windows are cold right now. I'll be making a little green house outside for white pine tree seeds, and garden veg.'s soon. Can't wait!

Shouldn't they be covered to keep the moisture in?

Yes. Cover was off for the photo op. But there is a stem of Alternanthera reineckii (AR) in the background that poked through a small hole at the top of the dome and is now exhibiting terrestrial characteristics (fine hairs, thicker dermis).
I understand about the crowded windows. Hoping my next house will include a sun room.
Hurry up Spring!

Update today. We have grass. Lol, oh well it was fun to watch. And experiment with this way of growing them. Think I'm gonna pull these soon. Just have the tank as a hospital tank if I ever need it. Hopefully I don't come across no more Betta's. I'll have to use the tank. Lol! I have a weak spot for them. I'd have a room full of them if I could. IMAG3523.jpg

Back
Top Bottom