DIY Stand for 29gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of building a stand for my 29gal.

My idea was to build frame out of 4x4, 2 inches wider then the tank, 2 inches longer than the tank, and about 40 inches tall.

Something like the image below, Built out of 4x4, and covered with 1 inch plywood, with two doors on the front for storing stuff, maybe a little shelf to hold it.

Would this be enough to hold up the 29gal tanks weight?

If you're using 2x4's and 4x4's then you won't need skin that thick. You'll be able to get away with 1/4" or 1/2" skin.

My stand is built solely out of 3/4" plywood and it's holding up a 55 gallon tank just fine.

Jim

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Remember that the taller the stand, the more unstable it will be. 40" may be too tall. You should probably go with a shorter dimension. Probably more like 30" tall.

Jim

My 29Gal is on the stand from All-Glass and it's 3/4" particle board with an open back. It is exactly the same dimensions as the bottom of the tank. I have 40 pounds of Rift Lake gravel, at least 40 pounds of Lace rock and Petrified wood in the tank, and 22 gal of water to fill it. It's steady and solid. A 2" space around the tanks seems awfully big to me.

id also go wit a 2x4 frame its easier to work wit . 2x4s r more den enuff to support it . id use thinner skin as well. if ya make em lighter itl b alot easier to move around wen ya havta

peace

I won't be using 2x4, just 4x4.

I prefer to overbuild.

afterall, if I overbuild..there is no drawbacks!

If I underbuild, there could be alot of risks.

I just like construction to be beefy and support 5 times more then what it needs to for my own peace of mind.

I just built a stand for my 125, and at the same time my buddy built one for a 29. He used four vertical 2x4 supports and that's more than plenty. I wouldn't go higher than 32-36" for stability reasons. Especially on a tank that small - the footprint isn't big enough for 40" tall.

Good luck!

How about if I, say, make the footprint around 40 inches by 22 inches, and have the stand slop up to the tank, like a pyramid?

I just want the tank to be a little closer to eye level, but if I can't have that oh well, can't get everything in life :)

I just built a 40" high www.garf.org style stand for my 30 gallon. It is plenty stable, used 2x4s no issues. I was even standing and jumping on the top to test it :D

Back
Top Bottom