DIY Tank stand stain/sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy again..

I began work on my tank stand this weekend. Though I have a question regarding protecting the wood.

The stand is constructed of primarily Oak, 1by's and veneered 3/4" plywood. I intend to stain it with an oil based stain (Red Mahogany by Olympic). Any recommendations on how to top coat it? Or should it be necessary with an oil based stain?

My first thought was to poly coat it, however I'm not a big fan of the often glossy finish it leaves. I know it can be buffed down, however is it really necessary to top it? While a leak is a disaster, I'm looking more to protect the wood from blemishs and damage due to the inherent spill and spatter from working on the tank.

Is it necessary? Overkill? What would/have you done?

I have always used poly to seal the wood. Cant you get poly in a flat finish? Or is that still to glossy for your tastes?

Stains (even oil based) are not really that water proof & wear quickely when exposed to water & the elements (my outdoor stuff is only good for 2-3 months).

I used 3 coats of poly for my stand. Flat poly is pretty dull, but still looks a bit platicky. If you are into the natural look, I suggest sealing all the inside & hidden parts with poly. This area is what you want to protect anyway - water outside will dry pretty quick, but water in hidden area may soak in & losen your joints or rot the wood.

For the outside, try Danish oil (I use Watco Danish finish). It keeps the natural feel of the wood & is fairly water proof. Only problem is that it will wear over time & you need to redo it every few years. I've also use water based poly (Behr), not nearly as plasticky as oil based poly, esp. after lightly sanding with fine sandpaper. But you'll need to use water based stain with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom