First sump filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sray86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just recently purchased a 125 gallon aquarium that I am going to put my oscar in and a few other fish. I currently have a 90 gallon aquarium with my oscar and a large common pleco. On that tank I use two eheim 2217's and a couple of power heads with prefilter foam on the intakes. I am going to have those filters on the new tank but would like to add another filter to the new tank. I have a 29 gallon tank that I would like to convert into a sump filter but I have never done or seen a sump filter first hand. I am handy and I get the basics but more research never hurts. Here is a drawing of what I am thinking. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I am all ears. Also I have no interest in a refugium. Just want the filter to be a filter. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 194
Re design and other thoughts

So here is a redesign of my filter. I am planning on having mainly mechanical filtration in the first chamber. I have several chambers in this filter so that I can rinse each chamber a week or so apart from each other, when cleaning is needed, so that I do not crash the tank. I did have another question though for anyone out there. I have read a lot about a wet dry filter because it gives sufficient oxygen to the bacteria. Instead of having the tower and trickle system I were to just put an air stone in the first chamber? I feel that any bubbles would "pop" before they get to the pump. I am also thinking of a few things for my media. In the first chamber I am thinking varying densities of filter pads. In the next four chambers I will have some sort of bio media. I am thinking lava rock or crushed unglazed pottery. I am a potter and have a ton of bisque fired pottery around. In the last media chamber I am going to put maybe carbon or other chemical filtration. In the pump chamber I will put my heaters and the pump obviously. The heaters are not going to be placed that high in the last chamber I just sketch them in real quick. My first design I had the walls way to high and I think if I had a power outage I would have a lot of water on the floor. I am now planning on using a 55 gallon aquarium for my sump and having my water level in that tank at about 5/8ths full. That leaves about 20-25 gallons of free space in the tank. If my calculation are correct that should be plenty. I am planning on starting the build for this filter this week or next week. If anyone has any advice on design I am all ears.

Whoops here is the redesign photo.

Attachments

• new sump.jpg
    new sump.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 151
Back
Top Bottom