Headloss calculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering when accounting for headloss do you start at the pump or at the water line?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since water finds its own level I would guess the water level.
I would also guess the difference from pump to waterlevel is less head loss then 1 90 degree elbow(1 foot)?

If both ends of the hose/pipe are submerged, the calculation is water level to water level. For canisters this means that the head loss is actually ZERO since both the suction & return lines are submerged and the canister itself is sealed.

The pump end is always calculated from the water level of it's container (pumps/intakes are always submerged, obviously). If the other end is not submerged than the calculation is to the end of the hose/pipe.

Alright awesome thanks everyone for the comments

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If both ends of the hose/pipe are submerged, the calculation is water level to water level. For canisters this means that the head loss is actually ZERO since both the suction & return lines are submerged and the canister itself is sealed.

The pump end is always calculated from the water level of it's container (pumps/intakes are always submerged, obviously). If the other end is not submerged than the calculation is to the end of the hose/pipe.
That makes sense and goes along with what i was thinking.

Back
Top Bottom