Large DIY mechanical filter advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy all, this is Mako from Aquariacentral if anyone reconizes me.

I have a 55g planted tank (SC native fish/plants) that tends to build up a lot of debris, not to mention that some of the fish are messy and stir the bottom when excited. My HOT Magnum and AC 300 do what they can, but I get tired of cleaning them out every two weeks. I'm also not in any position to dump $75+ for a larger canister filter. I'm convinced I can make one, somehow, that uses standard old filter floss and prefilter sponge. I want to make something comparable to the largest of the Filtsar or Eheim pro models. I have a big Eheim hobby pump and Aquaclear 802 that can drive it.

Seems like I can make a canister-type out of large diameter PVC (like 6-8") and 12-24" tall. I just don't know how to plumb a watertight inlet and outlet for clear tubing to connect to, and how to make a watertight removeable lid for cleaning.

I need a major mechanical filter! Help!

Look back a month or so. A guy was making a canister filter using a food grade 5gal plastic bucket with lid. Food grade has a o-ring seal in the lid.

Try foam used in chairs and sofas. Look for open cell type foam. Or the grey foam used for packing cartons. You can get any size needed. Polyester fiberfill used to stuff pillows can be used for the floss.
If I get a bigger tank I want to make a filter like this.

i saw somebody my a great wet/dry out of the tupperware drawer towers. if i were to guess, drawers were about 5 gallons each, and there were three drawers. one was filled with mechanical filtration, the other with bio media, etc. i'll search around and see what i can find.

I saw a pet shop once that made a multi-stage all-in-one filter out of big 30 gallon Rubbermaid boxes, stacked on a wooden frame (top level was five feet or more up!), with many finger-sized holes drilled in the bottom. Top level was a heck of a mechanical filter, next 2 levels were trickle media, and bottom level (a bigger Rubbermaid) was the sump. Next step was a massive protein skimmer (looked name brand) and UV sterilizer. I dunno how many gallons this system maintained since it didn't look plumbed to run them all. Pretty schnazzy! I wish I had a pic.

I'm leaning on a design that I ran across for CO2 reactors. Cut the bottom out of 2 soda bottles (2 liter), and fill it with the desired mechanical media (dry). smear the outer edge of one bottle with a good silicone bead, and slide the other inside it. Be sure to get a good, good seal. """Engineer""" a tube fitting to each soda bottle top, and find someway to hang the hideous thing behind your tank, out of view so nobody shoots it for pity. When time to clean, hack out the media, clean it, use new bottles, and start over. If I get it done, I'll try to photo it.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom