Metal halide pendant lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
First time poster here,

Just wanted to see if anyone has any good ideas for a lampshade for a metal halide 175W. My wife will not let me make one out of stovepipe or something like ive seen on other DIY sites. Going to accquire my own ballast, socket and lamp, just need a good idea for a lampshade that my wife wont complain about and will still work for my 56 column planted tank im putting together. Something that doesnt look trashy, melt, etc.

DIY MH lamp

Mogul socket seems to be the best way to go over 100w from what I can tell. Electronic ballast, being they are cheaper, not that they use less electricity.

-Edit // HQI seems to be more expensive as well, and im trying to keep it low on the price range. Anyone know what the difference between an HQI and just a medium/mogul based lamp? And would a ballast like so: http://www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=126&FID=17&level=1 work for an HQI bulb?

Isn't that a lot of light for a FW planted tank? idk

If its too much light then i can step it down, but im going to put up a 56 column tank, being higher than a normal 55 or 55 long. Since the water diffueses the light pretty rapidly I was assuming I should go with a higher wattatge. Would a 100 watt MH work fine? I realise a coulumn tank doesnt have as much ground area for a planted tank I suppose, but in an apartment you have to furnish what you have.

Back
Top Bottom