Lighting Strategy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwampeastMike

Aquarium Advice Activist
After six months just removed all the plastic from my 180-gallon. Yay!

All plants are fully established but not yet fully grown.

The tank surface is 6' x 2'.

There is a very active bubble wall along the entire back lit with 50W of full-spectrum LED. The bubbles do a wonderful job of scattering the light but this will reduce as the tall plantings in the corners mature.

The left 1/3 is for moderate and lower light plants while the right third is for higher light. At present I have a 26W LED on each side with the one of the left partly obscured by a wide center brace.

All lights currently set for 12 hours.

Have additional LED fixtures available.

At present I'd call the planting "light" but it will be moderate when mature.

I have no previous experience with LED lamps on aquariums and wonder if this "base" of about 100W of LED lighting is sufficient.

Suspect I should add some more to the high lighting side but don't want to encourage excessive algae.

Is it a good idea to add additional (say another 20-40W) for a shorter period than the main lights? Perhaps five hours in the middle of the twelve?

Here's a picture of the tank lit with every LED fixture I have. About 150 watts total. Know it's difficult to judge via a photo but what do you think of the light level? Photo from a professional camera with proper exposure and other than cropping exactly as produced.

Attachments

• DSC_0257.jpg
    DSC_0257.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom