Plugging a hole in a tree thing in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a really cool stump in my fishtank an love it except the fact that one of my little convict cichlids can fit through a hole and go completely inside it. He poops in there and he stays in there almost all the time and it's not easy to move and clean every week so how can I plug it. There are a lot more hiding spots for him. I was thinking about putting some sort of mesh in the hole but I'm not sure. What do you guys think

I just don't know how to keep it there. Won't a lot of different glues harm the fish?

super glue wont... that's what I'd try first. Silicone is another option, but it would take a while to cure... super glue will cure overnight, though some sw guys use it in the tank to secure corals with no cure time.. they literally put it in the tank while it's running. There are epoxy's that will work too, though I'm not familiar with any of them.

You can use a hot glue gun. It cools fast and is easy to remove. If you don't have one they are cheap at wal-mart for about $5.

Ok because I've been really really scared about any glue in my tank... Does it last long?

It should. If it ever comes off you can easily take it out, fix it,wait a minute of two (depending on how much glue you use) and put it back in.

I am with mfdrookie on his choice of glues. I have used both tank-safe silicone and super glue in my tanks with never a problem. I also have a stump decoration that I have "fish-proofed". I have fancy goldfish, and they will get themselves stuck in just about anything.

I cut black plastic craft mesh to fit across the holes from the inside, and used super glue to tack the mesh in place. And then I went over the edges of the mesh with a thick bead of silicone, and worked it into the mesh with a popcicle stick so that I knew it was contacting the plastic of the stump, too. Basically, I was just using the super glue to hold the mesh in place while the silicone cured for a few days. Might not have needed it, but it simplified the process.

I had the same issue with a large plastic rock. I used plastic screening held in place with aquarium-safe silicone.

Back
Top Bottom