Question about putting a bigger top on an existing stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TropicalChica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I am new to fishkeeping and I recently got a fluval flex 32.5. The measurements for the tank I think are somewhat unusual but I didnt want to buy the stand that goes with it because I have a stand for a 30 gallon tank that I felt would be okay. The new tank is about 1 inch longer so that the edges of the tank barely hang off of the top of the stand. I was wondering if I had a piece of 3/4in thick plywood cut and screwed it onto the existing stand to create a larger top, would that hold the sides of the tank? The weight load of the stand is 410lbs so I know that part will be okay bc I dont have a lot of rocks, just plants and spiderwood and a few small river rocks.. but can the top extend over the base? Thank you for any help!

Just so youse know
The tank will never way more than it would completely full of water if it has décor
Most décor don’t take up a gallon of space and weigh over 8 lbs in that gallon sized space sooo....

As long as the stand is solid than adding a piece of plywood is fine.. unless it's a rimless tank. In this case I would add 2 layers of 3/4 plywood (not osb) glue and screw.

The gravel and substrate way less than the water so just factor the weight of the tank as if it where full of just water that’s your max weight of the tank

Back
Top Bottom