Silicone advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a 20g high/tall(?) from Craigslist. Had a friend meet the guy and needless to say, I paid $40 for a PoS. It had been used as a saltwater tank and has a lot of white crust. Still working on cleaning that. Any recommendation on how to clean it?

The problem is the silicone. It's in really bad shape. Many torn places and lots of spaces where it's not even adhered to the tank.

So, what do I do? Scrap the old silicone off is obvious. What do I need to be careful of? Any recommendation of silicone? Any tricks?

I'll take any advise you can offer.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great video on YouTube on how to apply aquarium silicone like a pro

Oh and I believe any silicone that says 100% silicone is ok. The less ingredients the better. Might want to double check though!

Silicone 1 clear has no additives. I just resealed a 150. Takes time to get all the old stuff out & I was very nervous doing the test fill, but so far so good.

Silicone I for "windows and doors" has been used by many.Avoid anything that says "Kitchens and Baths" or "Tub and Tile", as they have mildewcides.

The silicone that you see in the tank, isn't necessary. the silicone inbetween the glass panes, that is what holds the tank together, thats what bonds the glass, not the bead thats on the outside of the glass. I have a 240g tank, I have no bead of silicone running along the inside of the tank glass, its all inbetween the panes. Just get rid of that bead of silicone, you can use GE I Silicone or Aquarium Silicone if you feel better about running another bead along the inside. But trust me, if the bond breaks inbetween the panes, that bead isn't going to hold anything together.

To clean the tank, you can use vinegar and water, for the tougher spots you'll need to let the vinegar sit on it for a bit.
Or use muriatic acid for a quick clean up.

I use the DAPs 100% silicone for repairing tanks I've used the tube of aquarium silicone but it's more expensive and messy then a calk gun

I would just call it a lost and go to Petco and jump on the $1/G sale going on right now. Ends 5/2
I believe.

The silicone that you see in the tank, isn't necessary. the silicone inbetween the glass panes, that is what holds the tank together, thats what bonds the glass, not the bead thats on the outside of the glass. I have a 240g tank, I have no bead of silicone running along the inside of the tank glass, its all inbetween the panes. Just get rid of that bead of silicone, you can use GE I Silicone or Aquarium Silicone if you feel better about running another bead along the inside. But trust me, if the bond breaks inbetween the panes, that bead isn't going to hold anything together.
This is true, to a point. If the tank is built perfectly, and there are no voids, the tank won't leak. The purpose of the inner fillet seal is to cover any possible voids in the butt joints. So, while the inner seal may not offer much strength, it does serve a purpose

I can take pics of my seal, to show bubbles inbetween the panes for you. That seal is the bond, thats what hold the glass together, if that bond breaks, that lil bead in the inside isn't going to hold back anything.

Back
Top Bottom