Slotted Aluminum Light Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
I am considering setting up a 12 gallon long reef tank.

It is a cool tank, but is is 36" wide, so I am trying to decide how I want to effectively light it. I have AI Sols on my larger reef tank, and they are in the same room, so it might be nice to match the lighting and put AI Nanos on my new reef tank.

That being said, mounting is a challenge. I came up with the following design:

19738-albums11420-picture50189.jpg

Basically, it would be built out of slotted aluminum, 20 X 20mm cross section. This tank will sit in a corner, so I would like to put the support for the arm up against the wall, and not have to have a support on the end that is open to the room. I came up with this design. It would have 1 arm, and the aluminum frame would be riveted to a 1/4" piece of polycarbonate sheeting the exact size as of the footprint of the tank, so effectively the weight of the tank would hold up the fixture. I drew my vision up in cad, as such:

19738-albums11420-picture50187.jpg

19738-albums11420-picture50188.jpg

I would then attach 2 AI Nano pods (2 pounds each) at appropriate intervals.

1. Do you think this setup would support the 2 AI Nano pods?

2. Do you think at around 9" above the water line, 2 AI Nanos would be enough to light a 36" tank?

Last edited:
IMO being an AI guy, I think 2 AI nano's would be more then enough for that size tank. You already know the power they put out and 2? That would be sick IMO. No question in my mind you'd be able to keep whatever you wanted and I bet it would look sick all set up.

9" above the water is fine IMHO. I'm not a pro but I do know those lights. My bio cube is thriving and I credit the light for helping and it's not even close to full throttle.

I say go for it! And post those pics!

Yeah, I mean 2 is a lot, but with the tank being 36" wide, I am thinking 1 won't work.

Yeah, I mean 2 is a lot, but with the tank being 36" wide, I am thinking 1 won't work.

I'd agree. One just won't cut it, two will give you more then enough and then you can dial it in. I think one would give a shadow on that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom