Thermostat with water temperature probe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know of, or how to make a thermostat that I could configure to run a pump based on water temperature? I'm trying to design a system heated with compost in a 55 gallon drum.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could use arduino if you know how to code in c++ and wire a pump. I guess it depends on how dedicated you are to do this. Basically you would want to use a thermistor (temperature based resistor) as a way to control the motor as an output.

You could use arduino if you know how to code in c++ and wire a pump. I guess it depends on how dedicated you are to do this. Basically you would want to use a thermistor (temperature based resistor) as a way to control the motor as an output.

Yeah you could use a "while" or 2 "if" statements to accomplish what I'm trying to do and a temperature probe to give the variable a value. I found something on Amazon that I think will work.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look up digital temperature controllers on fee-bay. You can get Chinese made units for $15-20 in either C or F (but they are different units). The delay (cut-in) is adjustable 1-30F on the F units, meaning in heat mode set at 78 it will kick on when the temp hits 77. it can switch 10A at 120VAC (be aware there are also 12V units out there).

I use them on my heaters as they seem more stable, just set the heater a few degrees above desired and allow the unit to control the cycling (and as a bonus the heater's built-in acts as a backup in case the controller goes hay-wire and tries making fish stew!)

digital-temperature-regulator-68759-2444491.jpg

Back
Top Bottom