Cichlid Fridge Tank on "Tanked"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Did anyone watch Tanked (on Animal Planet) last Saturday night? They converted a refrigerator into a Malawi Cichlid tank. It was very clever. I noticed that they had Mbuna (Labs), Haps (EB Ahli), and a variety of Peacocks, among other species. They also had a standard Pleco in there. It was super over-stocked. No substrate at all! How would you like to try to maintain that tank? Imagine trying to get in there to keep the algae off of the decor? I'd like to see that same tank one year from now.

I do love watching that show, though. Especially when they feature Cichlid tanks. I recall in their first season they converted a Keg into a Cichlid tank.

They used Caribsea cichlid sand in black and white which buffers the PH, and while the foot print may not be ideal eventually the fish will start to settle in the upper regions of the tank claiming the ugly plastic bottles at their territories.

What I would like to know is how they can build a tank, fill it, and fully stick it with fish the same day? I would think the tank would need to run empty for weeks before it was cycled and able to sustain fish.

What I would like to know is how they can build a tank, fill it, and fully stick it with fish the same day? I would think the tank would need to run empty for weeks before it was cycled and able to sustain fish.

Because when you use "cycled" media in the filters you skip all the waiting time for biological filter to establish, you may see a mini cycle for a couple of days at best. Once you have a cycled tank there is never a reason to perform a fish in or fishless cycle again when using established filter media.

Cornstar said:
I saw part of it, but did not see the cichlid tank. How big was the tank?

Go to animal.discovery.com/tv/tanked for a quick video on the two tanks they showed last Saturday.

Because when you use "cycled" media in the filters you skip all the waiting time for biological filter to establish, you may see a mini cycle for a couple of days at best. Once you have a cycled tank there is never a reason to perform a fish in or fishless cycle again using established filter media.

From what I've heard/seen on other sites, I'm not real sure they do it that way. I've seen some discussions that claim many of those tanks they set-up aren't up and running after a few months, let along after a year. Keep in mind, its a tv show.

I saw that episode I thought it was a very creative tank but alittle over the top with all the fake food items lol

Flipmikeskater3 said:
I saw that episode I thought it was a very creative tank but alittle over the top with all the fake food items lol

It did look a little cramped. I think it would have looked better with no food items. More room for the fish, too.

Maybe, But since this was for a business, and it required a theme oriented Tank the refrig idea was good for that location, would I want it in my house...probably not.
They make all sorts of "natural" looking tanks, (check out their website) but that will only bring in a smaller amount of Viewers and clients. It is probably more of just a Business now then the importance of the aquarist hobby aspect in manner of importance.

i think the shark tank was even cramped. they put too many sharks, and rays. they managed to overstock a 2000 gallon tank lol. they really overstocked the cichlid tank lol.

The cichlid tank was waaayy overstocked
Plus it was tacky, the food items with the faces and all
And such a small footprint for what will be a two foot pleco

The cichlid tank was waaayy overstocked
Plus it was tacky, the food items with the faces and all
And such a small footprint for what will be a two foot pleco

Tacky was what the customer wanted it was an Appliance store in Queens...what did you expect?

They I'm sure have a maintenance plan that rotates stock so those plecos will be long gone before it got 2 ft.

For these guys it's a business and don't see them as Pets as say the members of the forum but more as decoration....

Those cichlids had 0 swimming room. All of the space was vertical so they could go anywhere. Especially with those drawers

That headboard last night was awesome! I still can't believe they got the spade tank to be hung on the wall. Even with how they did it (which obviously worked lol) I thought to myself that it'll eventually come off the wall.

Back
Top Bottom