(civilized) Fish Food Debate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
What do you feed, why do you feed that?
I feed flakes and shrimp pellets as a staple diet with freeze dried bloodworms as treats. My fish love it and I feel it is good for them. I'd like to feed frozen too as a every other day thing, but have none at the moment. I feel it provides variety. I'd also like to feed BBS and microworms, as they are good for the fish IMO.

I feed flakes, frozen & live bait ( for my elephant nose, but they all like it!) Veggies, shrimp pellets & algae wafers. Try to vary as much as I can :)

What do you feed, why do you feed that?
I feed flakes and shrimp pellets as a staple diet with freeze dried bloodworms as treats. My fish love it and I feel it is good for them. I'd like to feed frozen too as a every other day thing, but have none at the moment. I feel it provides variety. I'd also like to feed BBS and microworms, as they are good for the fish IMO.
How is it good for them to add in treats exactly? Nutritionally speaking, a good pellet/flake staple should be all inclusive.

jetajockey said:
How is it good for them to add in treats exactly? Nutritionally speaking, a good pellet/flake staple should be all inclusive.

Im talking stimulation.

I use a large variety of staple flakes (Omega One) and feed freeze dried, frozen and live foods as well. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, spirulina, tubifex, mysis, etc.

I like to change up their diets, supplement with other things. Mainly because I know I wouldn't want the same exact food day in and day out. The fish seem to thrive, so they must enjoy it.

Edit: For the first time today I decided to try some of those larger algae sheets they have at the store. As hoped and somewhat expected, the black mollies are going nuts for it and the gouramis are taking bites too.

i feed mine live food there carnivores and want them to stay active and hunt for it like the wild plus i get ta kick out of it

Flakes, frozen bloodworms, I got the pack that has 4 different frozen cubes from petco, I'll put a cube in once in a while. I feed my bettas pellets for bettas and durning the week I mix in one of the cubes from the others, like ill let it melt in tank till a little is left then add it to Betta tank... The live blood worms and brine shrimp

I feed mine spirula flakes with vitamin c, aqua one micro pellets and aqua one vege wafers as the staple and frozen brine shrimp every 3rd day instead of their usual. My betta gets aqua one betta pellets and the frozen brine shrimp when the others get it. I usualy feed frozen blood worms once a week instead aswell just gotta get some more havnt replaced it yet. The more variety the better

Lunchbox209 said:
I Feed my fish my homemade fish food and they go nuts for it

That's what I do :) gotta have a great CUC though cause it goes everywhere

Khij159753 said:
That's what I do :) gotta have a great CUC though cause it goes everywhere

True. Also if I'm to lazy to make a new batch ill feed rods food that stuff is just as good as mine but a little on the expensive side

I go by the same theory as I do when feeding my dog and cats, only more so since each fish species has slightly different diet requirements. That theory is that animals in the wild eat a large variety of foods, many of which we probably don't know about, so no one food can have everything needed for nutrition. The best thing to do is to feed as wide a variety of foods as possible. Plus, by varying foods, your fish don't get so used to eating one particular food they refuse to eat anything else. If that happens and the food they are used to eating suddenly becomes unavailable or discontinued for some reason, you are in trouble.
I feed a couple different kinds of flake, and a variety of frozen insects (bloodworms, shrimp, mosquitoe larvae,..)

I feed my little ones tropical flakes, freeze dried tubifex worms, baby shrimp, dried blood-worms, veggie rounds, zucchini, peas, and I give them the frozen brine shrimp, blood-worms, and veggie cubes sold by petsmart (they call it the lunchbox variety).

OK, I want to know what you put in it and how you make it!

Seconded.

I primarily feed my fish Omega One flakes, along with shrimp pellets, tubifex worms, and frozen bloodworms on occasion. I provide algae wafers each night for my pleco (cories eat some of it as well), and hand-feed my dwarf frogs frog/tadpole bites, and occasionally frozen bloodworms.

I do Hikari micro pellets and veggie wafers, Fluval shrimp granules, and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and mosquito larvae. I also feed them live brine shrimp (hatched) and mosquito larva a few times a year.

.josh. said:
Seconded.

I primarily feed my fish Omega One flakes, along with shrimp pellets, tubifex worms, and frozen bloodworms on occasion. I provide algae wafers each night for my pleco (cories eat some of it as well), and hand-feed my dwarf frogs frog/tadpole bites, and occasionally frozen bloodworms.

There's a thread on here that's tells you what to use just have to search for it

I feed mine peas once a week flakes every other day and blood worms twice a week and a green bean for my snail i need to get algae pellets for my otos since theyve eaten most of the algae i had in the tank lol

Back
Top Bottom