Fish are food, not friends?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a fact. Man feeds from the animal kingdom.
Ornamental fish are usually not eaten. Except Gouramis. In the home countries also feed fish. Des pig end of the sausage is beginning.

What is important is something else. Whether Turkey, Christmas goose or rabbit. The animals must be kept appropriate to the species that they thrive and feel good.
A good angler shall ensure that the water remains clean. He takes no to small hooks. When it bites a fish that has not within prescribed limits, then removed it carefully (with a Disgorger) without seriously hurting the hook and the fish can continue to grow.
It's all our nature. We must handle it carefully.

I fish occasionally up here in Michigan. It's for recreation more than for food. I release everything I catch.

I've been drooling over the idea of a native michigan tank for quite a while now though :D

It's hard to throw fish like this back
centrallongearsunfish.jpg

Oh yeah , I fish a lot!
99% of what I do is catch and release , I do occasionally keep a trout or maybe some good saltwater eating fish but only what I am sure will not go to waste. The kayak always has a rod and reel on board since you never know where you might run into a golden opertunity for some fun. Into ice fishing this time of year as well.
Also do my fair share of hunting as well to help fill the freezer.
For me they are both an excuse so to speak to keep me outdoors where it seems I belong and probably the happiest.

I love to go fishing.
If what I catch is of appropriate size, I take it home and eat it.
I love eating fish and seafood. I live near the Gulf Coast.
I have fish and shrimp in my freezer right now.

Note: please don't tell my pet fish !!

I love to go fishing.
If what I catch is of appropriate size, I take it home and eat it.
I love eating fish and seafood. I live near the Gulf Coast.
I have fish and shrimp in my freezer right now.

Note: please don't tell my pet fish !!

So do I, Tampa Florida to be exact

I like to fish the gulf a lot and have a lot of fun doing so. I fish more so for the sport than to eat but don't have any trouble taking home a good eating fish (Mackerel, Snapper, Snook). As long as they are appropriate size, I don't see a problem. Don't harm a habitat. You should be okay.

I fish here on the lake for bluegill, bass, carp and catch a lot of crayfish too. I love fishing in the lagoons in Charleston, SC and occasionally go for sharks off the beach. Everything is catch and release though, I couldn't kill a fish (or anything for that matter) unless I had nothing else to live on and was absolutely necessary.

I fish here on the lake for bluegill, bass, carp and catch a lot of crayfish too. I love fishing in the lagoons in Charleston, SC and occasionally go for sharks off the beach. Everything is catch and release though, I couldn't kill a fish (or anything for that matter) unless I had nothing else to live on and was absolutely necessary.

I get what you're saying. You only use lures? You don't believe in live bait?

I get what you're saying. You only use lures? You don't believe in live bait?

Yeah, I hate using worms or minnows. I just use dead things like squid and hot dogs work good too. Frozen works just as good as live IMO. Bass is just soft plastics and crank baits.

Yeah, I hate using worms or minnows. I just use dead things like squid and hot dogs work good too. Frozen works just as good as live IMO. Bass is just soft plastics and crank baits.

That's cool, whatever works for you. I do feel kind of bad cast netting up bait and sticking a hook into their nose. Sometimes the sardines will squeal. I get sad cause I think of my pet fish.

I fish occasionally up here in Michigan. It's for recreation more than for food. I release everything I catch.

I've been drooling over the idea of a native michigan tank for quite a while now though :D

It's hard to throw fish like this back
centrallongearsunfish.jpg

I think that'll be amazing but it will be hard keeping the tank healthy if you're using wild caught fish.

Oh yea, fishing is what got me into fish keeping!

Mostly freshwater catch and release. Ocean fishing I will keep if I am going for Tuna for sure!

I love to go fishing with my son (he's 6 almost 7). Usually we just go for some panfish or largemouth here in MD. For the most part, it's all catch and release but I'm not opposed to eating what we catch if it's worth it. I'll have to find the picture when my son caught a 3+lb largemouth after just turning 5...we cast the line out for him and he did all the rest up to taking the hook out! :D Great times and great memories...

I also go hunting for deer/turkey to fill the freezer, can't wait to start taking my kids when they are older.

For me, outdoor activities like fishing and hunting is all about finding peace. There's nothing like being in the woods or on the water and watching the sun come up. :cool:

Last edited:
I make my livin' by other people fishin' :brows::lol: I make fishing lures for saltwater but my own for freshwater. ( Please don't ask to buy, I don't sell direct to the public. :nono:) I've fished every state on the east coast from Maine to Florida as well as Texas, Oregon, California, Alaska, Bahamas, Mexico, and Belize. I fish more for sport than for food but when you have noting else to eat, freshly caught fish is manna from heaven. :D
What most people don't realize about fishing is that the best fishing places anywhere are those where no one else is or has been. You see the beauty of the landscape of the world because it has been untouched by the human hand. I'll take a mosquito filled woods to a concrete jungle any day of the week. (y)

I like to fly fish. Here in Colorado we have some beautiful rivers in the mountains and along the front range that make great fly fishing locations. Ill also toss a texas rig in some ponds around here and catch a few bass or walleye every now and then as well. (y) Not big on eating the fish I catch so I always put em' back!

I fish all the time. Mainly shark fishing and it's always catch and release except for 1 kind and i only keep it if it's 3-5ft long

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I make my livin' by other people fishin' :brows::lol: I make fishing lures for saltwater but my own for freshwater. ( Please don't ask to buy, I don't sell direct to the public. :nono:) I've fished every state on the east coast from Maine to Florida as well as Texas, Oregon, California, Alaska, Bahamas, Mexico, and Belize. I fish more for sport than for food but when you have noting else to eat, freshly caught fish is manna from heaven. :D

What most people don't realize about fishing is that the best fishing places anywhere are those where no one else is or has been. You see the beauty of the landscape of the world because it has been untouched by the human hand. I'll take a mosquito filled woods to a concrete jungle any day of the week. (y)

Lol that's exactly how I feel. I would definitely take a mosquito filled woods over a concrete jungle but only for about 12 hours then I'll get homesick and want a burrito from chipotle. ?

Back
Top Bottom