Guppy strains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been breeding guppies for a few years now and I want to start making my strains look better. I did only start with a single style of guppies and already have very different looking types (about 2 or 3) variants and wanted to know how I could try making my fish look better.

Image1487728117.006716.jpg

Image1487728395.358756.jpg

The one in the last picture is a little closer to what the original 2 I got looked like. The yellow ones just kind of happened along the way.

I just kinda let it happen to be honest, all accidental. Lol

The genetics are interesting, and really too complicated for me in the detail many get into.

Start looking at the competition and show Guppies standards for the fish. There are many more kinds of Guppies being bred that most shows have. for the most diverse view, I would so a search for champion or prize winning Guppies and look at the shapes of the bodies and fins.

Some of the best things you can do for baby fish (adults too really) is to do plenty of water changes, keep parameters in order, and feed excellent foods.

Often Hobby breeders do not pay as much attention to the tank conditions and daily care in a way a champion Guppy breeder would.

By keeping the water exceptionally clean, changes too, you can keep any hormones diluted, not over crowding allows fish room to grow.

I would start with the mom with the upgraded care, and continue through the babies growing up. Then select the ones you feel are exceptional, in color and shape/worth the extra work. Grow and breed, this means not haveing a huge mass of fish all together with breeding and mixing with any color, finnage, shape or size.

Also if you aren't already a member of a local aquarium club, consider doing so and see if there are other breeders which you might be able to observe and talk to in person and see fish which might be considered the top level group/or already Champions.

Research line breeding guppies. I did it for many years. In order to produce/replicate phenotypes you will need to follow the line breeding process. This does require several tanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom