how do you hold your tongue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a local woman selling (and keeping) sets of 3 guppies in a flower vase with half a litre capacity telling her customers as long as you change the water every 2 months the fish are healthy and happy in there. No filtration, no air stone, nothing. She also states "they will breed happily in the vase".

Stupid but I'm a really emotional person and I'm in tears over this woman.

They won't even have enough oxygen!! It's animal cruelty! At least the poor bettas in those setups have the labyrinth organ to let them breathe, but the guppies will just die! Do you know the woman? Could you talk to her about it?

:( prove her wrong in a nice way if you can! Hope they are not dead yet.

She claims she has several of these vases in her own house and "I've only ever lost two fish. I've been breeding and selling them for 5 years, I know what I'm doing. If you don't overfeed them you only have to change their water once every two months".

I have kindly offered advice but she has turned defensive because she's been doing it so long.

Wow... People annoy me when they act high and mighty and won't even listen to what someone else has to say. That's like saying if you've been riding a horse sitting in the saddle backwards for five years, you know what you're doing...

cheeky_monkey said:
She claims she has several of these vases in her own house and "I've only ever lost two fish. I've been breeding and selling them for 5 years, I know what I'm doing. If you don't overfeed them you only have to change their water once every two months".

I have kindly offered advice but she has turned defensive because she's been doing it so long.

Let's hope she is lying! I don't know what to say :( but I still don t agree with her!

Now I'm accused of trying to steal her customers for myself. I don't even breed or sell fish. She gave me the "I'm trying to make money for my children's Christmas presents" line, that doesn't mean you can be cruel to fish!

Well even though she got angry at me I hope it makes her rethink her fish.

cheeky_monkey said:
Now I'm accused of trying to steal her customers for myself. I don't even breed or sell fish. She gave me the "I'm trying to make money for my children's Christmas presents" line, that doesn't mean you can be cruel to fish!

Well even though she got angry at me I hope it makes her rethink her fish.

Prove it to her by the computer or a book or maybe even a experienced person. Make sure you tell her your not breeding fish but your just trying to help them.

Bettababe1011 said:
Oh, bringing her children's Xmas into it is low! This person blows my mind... :O

I know right! I wouldnt be able to hold my tongue!

I guess after awhile, you start to expect people to be this stupid. I over-hear so much awful advice and horrible set-ups that it honestly doesn't surprise me anymore. It's sad, really sad. If only people could be arrested/fined for this animal cruelty.

I hate it when people misinform other people but thanks to AA ingot the good right stuff :)

But that's just the thing. Abuse a dog or a cat and the Australian RSPCA can and do fine people or take animals from people.

Fish just seem to be overlooked and you are laughed at if you show a little compassion for them.

I would argue fish are overlooked due to their significantly decreased capacity for higher intelligence relative to mammals and other miscellaneous animals.

How do I hold my tongue? I get over it and move on. The planet doesn't stop spinning for a guppy, and you can't fix stupidity. If people are prone to abusing other humans against the will of the masses, what is to make us think that ANY level of reasoning or convincing argument can sway an ignorant individuals basic viewpoint of fish, an (arguably) vastly inferior type of life-form.

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom