How to make money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coleallensmom said:
I've been a daycare provider off and on since my 2nd child was born 6 years ago. Going rate around here is about $100/per week. I normally worked at least 9 hours a day...you do the math. Daycare providers are one of the most underpaid, under appreciated people around and they take care of what should be one of your most prized posessions...doesn't make much sense to me sometimes. Anyway, off my :soap:

The OP is getting ripped off. lol In high school I used to get around $20 to babysit just for a couple hours on the weekend. (and that was more years ago then I care to admit to! ;))

I know I'm getting ripped off but I really can't do anything about it. I will just have to do more people then.

I know I'm getting ripped off but I really can't do anything about it. I will just have to do more people then.

Ask some of your friends how much they make when they babysit. Chances are it's better than what you're getting paid now, and even better chances that the people you babysit for know this. Once you find out how much they make, use that as a bargaining tool with the parents. Let them know what you're trying to save up for and if they have any compassion, they'll cough up some more $.

Young babysitters like yourself are not expected (though it is helpful) to know CPR, teach the kids manners/discipline, or even make a career out of taking care of children. Being able to call up someone a few days before a date is a huge convenience, especially over the weekend with various hours (not to mention the ease of calling up and asking you to stay an extra hour or two), and the pay should reflect that.

I had all sorts of training. I'm CPR certified, babysitting certified, and some othe certification. I am going to do babysitting for a broader amount of people in the summer. I will charge 8$. Good price?

I used to get $10 an hour like 10 years ago so I wouldn't say it is unreasonable.

needmorecowbell said:
I had all sorts of training. I'm CPR certified, babysitting certified, and some othe certification. I am going to do babysitting for a broader amount of people in the summer. I will charge 8$. Good price?

That's what I charge, so ya, your good I guess.

I am getting a job in a few weeks (Im 14 then) and am really excited i dont see why people dont hire young people to work for them. Then again America is a whole different country to Australia

Most young people lack the skills (communication being one of them) to successfully perform a job. This obviously isn't true for everyone, and it's just my opinion.

When I was 14 I worked at a car wash (still do but at a different location under the same bosses). For some reason, I sucked at my job then. I hadn't worked there since 15 or 16, and just this past January I started up again (I'm 20 in July). They tell me I am one of their best workers now. I feel I have matured and take work a lot more seriously, even though it isn't a prestigious position. Still, any part-time job in college is good. I attribute this to having worked other jobs, learning about life, and communicating with adults a lot more. The part I italicized I think is the most important.

I also agree with meegosh on $10/hr. My last summer job had me at $8.50/hr. Where I currently work, tips generate most of my pay. On a busy day, I can make upwards to $14.50 an hour. Even on a bad day it usually averages out to like $10-11/hr. I must say, after earning that, I'd never work a minimum wage job again unless I had no other option.

I guess I better start advertising then!

Also I read a LOT about stocks and i think dividend investing is the thing for me. Any opinions?

I cant believe someone would pay u $2/hr with a straight face. I pay our baby sitter $20/hr and she is cheapest we could find. So she regularly makes a 100 a day. My wife was a nanny and made over 70 a year. I think 10 would be fair if they are getting you from a day labor site. But then again I dont know what things are like where you live. Advertise in "nicer" hoods. My daughters daycare is 75/hour. It is a really nice school though. But still, I think you should look around.

I know this is an old thread. But I am wondering if you guys had any sure-shot ways of making money. I have been hurting on a lot of things for my tank, and was wondering how to make some extra dough..

Lemonade stand, Shoveling snow, raking leaves, walking dogs, petsitting, babysitting, that kinda thing.

Pet sitting and dog walking is quite the business these days. i had a dog walker/sitter when I had 3 dogs and I was at work or away for the weekend. I paid $10 a visit and there were 3 visits usually a day.

That's what I charge for petsitting... I dont dog walk, but I make so much $ for pet and babysitting (8 $ an hour for babysitting) I don't even need to dog walk

its sad really our kids are our most treasured thing, their lives have no price limit, however what most people pay or get paid to have them watched is sad....

I cant believe some of you get $10/hr to babysit 10 years ago, its not like that here. 20 years ago when I babysat i'de get $20 a DAY, that was a full working day for the parents, and I was to do house work, have dinner cooked when they got home etc etc...

Im not entirely sure of the going rate now, as I rarely had a paid sitter for my kids, and now 2 of my kids are babysitting, I think they get like $5/hr.... its always more beneficial to work a couple hrs then they get like $20, but if its a all day thing, it seems to work out to much less.... same as when i was a kid?!

Ok onto the OP ??
When we were little we went bottle collecting, you can go door to door (with a parent, and/or permission) or have someone drive you around. Sometimes we would have my dad drive us out to the highway with the pickup and collect bottles from the ditches. Not only were we making money we were cleaning up the ditches.

You can advertise in yard chores, pet sitting, pet walking, childcare, odd jobs.

Keep your eyes open, when you notice that a neighbor is starting a project you can enquire, if you walk past a store and the windows are filthy you could ask them about cleaning their windows for them. that sort of thing.

Do a good job just once and you could get yourself some regular work!! Gl to you.

needmorecowbell said:
So what could I include in a petsit form?

I don't use a form... I'd just say they call you and you ask questions and take notes. Mainly though, for questions... how many pets, specific care, names (both pets and people), contact info, vet contact, and how many days they'll be gone. I go 5 dollars a day mostly... But that's just because I get so much business where I live. Just get the word out. Tell your friends, post adds, tell your mom to tell her friends, post flyers around the neighborhood, that kinda thing.

Back
Top Bottom