Large problems - poison dart frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anatoliy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
At Dendrobates auratus after metamorphosis large problems with forelegs. Feet are immobile and fingers are distorted. Frogs do not eat. Who does know reason?

I have split your post off from another thread. We don't have reptile forums here but many members have reptiles and maybe they can help.

Sounds like spindly leg syndrome. The cause of it really could be several things but I haven't heard of a true scientific cause. It seems to just be one of those things that happen sometimes. It could be a lack of something in the mothers diet. Of course, it's been a while since I kept/bred PDF's. Really, if the froglette can't get around to eat, it should be euthenized. Some do better than others but don't expect it to live a very long life. Sorry I can't give you any good news. The next batch of eggs may be perfectly fine but if you find your pair is throwing spindly babies, I'd rethink continuing to breed them. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom