No one wants to talk about fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any time I try to talk fish with my friends, it usually ends up in "dude, you should buy some pirhanas" or something along the lines of two Bettas in the same tank like they'll tear each other apart like sharks or something lol

Jesse

Heard that too many times to count...

I don't see anything wrong with that. What bugs me the most is then people turn around and start talking about how they either slept all day or watched Netflix all weekend. At least we are building and creating something and taking care of amazing creatures.

+100000 I love spending the weekend getting my hands wet changing something

Caleb

I'm always telling my mom how my hobby isn't easy lol because there's no one to talk to and exchange experience, or just talk fish. This conversation ends up with her telling me to start a fish club in school, and me saying that the only person who would join is this kid who has a 36 gallon and the only question he would have is how to grow algae :lol: I don't even want to think about the people who cram their bettas in bowls. But I guess that's why there's this forum, where we can talk to other people who share the same interests :)

I'm lucky I have two brothers and dad that are in the hubby so I can talk to them (though their opinions often are so varied there is no point to talk to them). But my wife likes the fish but she just always says they are too complicated and she doesn't get it.

Yeah no one in my area really understands how I get so excited over my fish. They always say I should add more fish then I gotta crack the whip on them about overstocking.

Don't worry we are all fish nets here! :) would love to see your tanks.

Caleb

Sorry, Caleb I just forgot what size tank it was. No hard feelings?

My friends at school always ask if I have a shark and I say yes its a rainbow shark but no matter what they don't listen to me and the same people ask me the same questions every day.

Today I saw a huge tank with a fake coral reef and it was stocked with... cichlids? What's the point of making a freshwater tank into a fake saltwater tank?

Today I saw a huge tank with a fake coral reef and it was stocked with... cichlids? What's the point of making a freshwater tank into a fake saltwater tank?

You just stated the point. A freshwater low maintenance tank in a living room with lots of color in the rockwork that looks sorta saltwater. And cichlids pull off the saltwater fish colors. Hey, maybe not for everyone but I've enjoyed it.

To each there own basically. I was yard selling yesterday with one of my buddies an I was selling a couple of tanks an everything some body would even glance at it she would go "Go, be free you little fish nerd. Go an Sell them the tanks" ? needless to say I'm still on the hunt about finding somebody to talk fish to

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

what do you guys think about a 30gallon refugium? just straight up for Pod culturing that has a low flow powerhead pumping water to my main return pump. the thing that worries me the most is that I just updated my 3/4 inch pvc overflow to 1 inch. so now I'm using the 3/4 as a secondary overflow to the 30 gal refugium. do you think it'll work? or will I run into some weird issues running 2 different size overflows?The 1 inch pvc leads to my trickle tower. which honestly I may take apart and just turn everything into a huge sump with fuge.

As long as the overflow doesn't loose "syphon" then the pump determines the flow rate of sump.I run a large reef octopus HOB on my 29 slow reef with just a mag 3 for return.
Plenty of pods!I like your idea!

Kind of hoping we were going to talk about Brooksters ex girlfriends!
I'm hip to fish also I guess!

I've been off this forum for probably close to a year but it's good to be back. Last night, I was at a family dinner and I got the news that I'll be helping to set up two tanks. One will be a 5 gallon planted tank for my cousin while the other will be a 10 gallon guppy tank for two little girls.

You just stated the point. A freshwater low maintenance tank in a living room with lots of color in the rockwork that looks sorta saltwater. And cichlids pull off the saltwater fish colors. Hey, maybe not for everyone but I've enjoyed it.

I'm sorry, I had no idea that you had that setup. I went and looked at pictures of yours, and your tank was so much better than the one I saw the other day.

You could always see if there are any local clubs around your way. Here we HAAS-heart of america aquarium society and the kcfishclub.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby and I got into it together, and a mutual friend of ours has a tank, and hubbys cousin used to have fish, and when I post things about our fish on Facebook, people seem supportive.

But I don't really talk with people about it too much, except my closest friends, and they don't seem to get bored with it :)

I try to talk to people at work about it and they seem interested but the convo doesn't usually go very far. I love talking about our fish & shrimp!

I talk to everyone about my buddy Alvin interested or not you're going to hear about my goldfish!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom