Questions about Ick after taking fish out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneshoeboxer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm very new to aquariums. I got some new tetras. They got Ick after about a week I took them out within 24 hours of noticing it. I went back to the store and they said they got a bad batch of fish. They said most of them had died even after they treated them. The store said to bring them back and I'd get a refund. I have 2 other fish in my tank that don't seem to have Ick. From what I've gathered it is just in the tank now though. If nothing happens after turning the heat up to 80 and waiting 21 days for it to cycle is it gone, or do I still need to medicate the water?

I'd rather not torch the tank, since it is planted, and I still have two fish. I just want to make sure I'm killing off the Ick in the tank. I'm going to start quarantining stuff when I get it. I just want the main tank to be healthy before I start adding fish back in 21 days.

Hello one...

If you keep a very clean tank, the possibility of a healthy fish in pure water conditions, being infected by a parasite or anything else, is very remote. I've kept tanks for many years and never had a problem with infections or parasites. This is because I make sure and remove and replace most of the tank water every week. Harmful parasites and similar things are unable to live and reproduce in pure water conditions.

Heat is a poor remedy for Ich. It increases the metabolism of the parasite, yes. But, it does the same to your fish. A higher metabolism, means the fish poop more. Not what you want when you need to clean up the tank water. Use large, frequent water changes and a teaspoon or two of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of new, treated tap water. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material when you change the water. I'd change half the water twice weekly, vacuum the bottom and use the salt until you see improvement in the health of the fish.

B

Hello one...

If you keep a very clean tank, the possibility of a healthy fish in pure water conditions, being infected by a parasite or anything else, is very remote. I've kept tanks for many years and never had a problem with infections or parasites. This is because I make sure and remove and replace most of the tank water every week. Harmful parasites and similar things are unable to live and reproduce in pure water conditions.

Heat is a poor remedy for Ich. It increases the metabolism of the parasite, yes. But, it does the same to your fish. A higher metabolism, means the fish poop more. Not what you want when you need to clean up the tank water. Use large, frequent water changes and a teaspoon or two of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of new, treated tap water. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material when you change the water. I'd change half the water twice weekly, vacuum the bottom and use the salt until you see improvement in the health of the fish.

B

Thanks. I keep a clean tank. I've been doing 33% water changes since the ick. I was more just seeing if ick is just in the water now, or if it goes away after a time of no infection. The only reason they got sick was getting them from the store where all their stock was infected and died. I have a fully planted tank, so cleaning out the substrate very well is going to be a bit hard. I've seen some say Ick is in all water, and fish are just doing well enough to not get it. I can't really seem to find any real scientific sources on most of this stuff.

Hello again...

Bacteria both good and bad can live dormant on fish. A healthy fish has a slime coat that protects it from an infection. If you keep your tank clean, then your fish stays healthy and resistant to infections even from a sickly fish. If you miss a water change, the water chemistry can be affected and this in turn affects your fish, by stressing it. This stress will breakdown the protective slime coat and open the fish to an infection.

I can tell you that a 30 percent water change isn't nearly enough to keep your fish healthy long term. You're still leaving most of the polluted water in the tank. Your fish will add to this before your next water change. Begin a more aggressive water change routine. Work up to half or more every week. Your fish is doing all its "business" in the water and living in it. It needs a lot of water removed and replaced often.

B

Back
Top Bottom