Rehoming old fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I was on here a few times about two common goldfish i have had for 12 yrs or so, there are 2 in a twenty gallon tank, i have been relentlessly trying to help one that keeps floating on top of tank, Only awhile after he eats, then will sit all night there, next morning seems perfectly normal, With all i have learned about the water (mine coming from a water softener) and food and decorations and filters, and tank size etc. I realize that even though i have been caring for them under all these conditions, to me seemed great, but maybe not to the fish, I feel i should really try to get them to a good place that understands more and better water for them and possiblly larger tank, maybe with improvements the one floaty will get well, I dont want to feel like i am being mean or anything to them, just want some input here so i dont feel so bad, when you have any pet for this long it is very hard, I have obligations coming along that will require alot of travel for me and i dont want to leave sick fish to someone else to care for, although it is hard to tell if one is sick or jsut constipated and cant get it under control, he has been on peas for 4 days and has not flipped over, he eats well, but something is not right, what do you think
Thank You

what a kind person, very humble of you and i appreciate how hard it is to give up pets.

honestly If you were in California I would take them, I am interested in Goldies and have an empty 55g.

Post some photos maybe a reader in Ohio will offer to pick them up?

Best wishes

Rehome old fish

Aw Thank You, I am having a hard time with this, but i think if i find the right place they would be better off, I know they need bigger tanks, and better water, I know the pet store owner here whre i live, and i am going down to talk to her now, I will offer a new tank and stand, and board every month if she takes them, then there is the stress of how to get them to her if she agrees
Oh i am worried!! Thank you for such kindness, I wish i were near you , sounds like they would have it made with you

I was talking to thepst store folks today, they are going to get a 29 gallon tank ready for me, they want me to get some of my water i have in the tank now more aclimated for there water, I had to add salt, they wanted a rate of 1 tsp per gallon over the next week, is this okay?? They use salt i all their tanks and have very healthy fish, they also use water that does NOT go through a softener, so i am wondering will this help my floaty fish, seems to sit at top alot, i tried all the foods to help him, peas, brine shrimp, gel food, medigold (4 days, he got to bloaty). THey gave me a few gallons of their water to put in tank on sunday and again on monday to help some, they want me to bring all my water and fish in so they can use it along with their water, I did a test on there water and it is different then mine for sure!! Mine has only 50 gh and ph of 8, theirs is over 200 gh and ph at 7.4 or maybe a bit more, can this work for my fish, when i move them, I am glad they said they would do this for me but i want them to be okay especially in the first days of moving them, any suggestions Thanks

Last edited:
I was talking to thepst store folks today, they are going to get a 29 gallon tank ready for me, they want me to get some of my water i have in the tank now more aclimated for there water, I had to add salt, they wanted a rate of 1 tsp per gallon over the next week, is this okay?? They use salt i all their tanks and have very healthy fish, they also use water that does NOT go through a softener, so i am wondering will this help my floaty fish, seems to sit at top alot, i tried all the foods to help him, peas, brine shrimp, gel food, medigold (4 days, he got to bloaty). THey gave me a few gallons of their water to put in tank on sunday and again on monday to help some, they want me to bring all my water and fish in so they can use it along with their water, I did a test on there water and it is different then mine for sure!! Mine has only 50 gh and ph of 8, theirs is over 200 gh and ph at 7.4 or maybe a bit more, can this work for my fish, when i move them, I am glad they said they would do this for me but i want them to be okay especially in the first days of moving them, any suggestions Thanks

I want to say too, these fish are common goldfish and about 12 yrs old or so, one i talked about in sick fish forum that has floating issues

That's a great outcome! You can use buckets with lids or those plastic clear 5 gallon jugs to move water. Hopefully not too far away.

The salt is fine, just be careful to use freshwater aquarium salt as its different than marine salt. I recommend swishin it until it dissolves in some tank water before adding to your tank. The chunks need to be fully dissolved.

My lfs swaps goldfish with a local restaurant owner I spoke with in a regular basis. He has a pond for the biggest goldfish they send him (like foot longs) and he has maybe 8-10 goldies under 6" in a tank on display, which he trades them for babies periodically. The store gets to sell the grown out fish for more than teeny ones.

rehoming goldfish

That's a great outcome! You can use buckets with lids or those plastic clear 5 gallon jugs to move water. Hopefully not too far away.

The salt is fine, just be careful to use freshwater aquarium salt as its different than marine salt. I recommend swishin it until it dissolves in some tank water before adding to your tank. The chunks need to be fully dissolved.

My lfs swaps goldfish with a local restaurant owner I spoke with in a regular basis. He has a pond for the biggest goldfish they send him (like foot longs) and he has maybe 8-10 goldies under 6" in a tank on display, which he trades them for babies periodically. The store gets to sell the grown out fish for more than teeny ones.

I didnt rehome then yet, just getting ready to , the store is not far from me but i am getting the water they are in now ready for the change so they can be a bit more used to the water at pet store, Mine is run through a softener and i am slowly adding fish store water so when they move they will be more used to it, I am hoping this will help fish with floating problems, some have said it might be my water?? Oh the fish store will NOT sell these fish, we talked about that , they will just home them and take care of them for me, I will give them a rent every month so to speak, We havent gotten that far yet!! Let me know what you all think and please any advice in doing this or helping the floater is appreciated, Thanks

Back
Top Bottom