The best in the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
I made this thread to discuss the best aquarists and aquariums in the world.

Are there some nations that have a reputation as being the best (Asian countries come to mind)?

Is there one aquarium in some large city (I'd assume) that has the rep of being the biggest best aquarium in the world?

Where is the largest aquarium in the world?

What is the best aquarium you have ever been to? Mine would be the one in Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD.

Feel free to post links or pics! I'll never forget the picture I saw of a guy with snorkle gear on swimming in his own tank. I think he was French, anybody remember this, it was on AA?

Well I don't know about who is the "best" but the most impressive aquariums I have ever been to were:
1. Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey Ca (Kelp Forest exhibit is amazing! And the Jelly fish are incredible!) Monterey Bay Aquarium: Aquarium Exhibits, Live Web Cams and Information About Life in the Oceans
2. Underwater World - San Francisco Pier 39, So neat...you can walk through these tunnels right into the aquariums where it feels like the ocean is all around you! Very neat! Aquarium of the Bay

I have never been to a public FW aquarium but would love to. :) I am particularly interested in seeing some amazingly large Amazon exhibit! :)

I haven't been to many but I liked the aquarium pyramid at Moody Gardens in Galveston.

I got to get out more -- the closest thing I get to going to an aquarium is when I walk through the aisles of my pet store -- Thanks for getting me to really question my quality of life -- Peace :D

warped, it should take you maybe.... an hour and a half to get to Baltimore? You should go check out the Aquarium there. Just try not to go on the weekend.... too crowded.

I'm planning a visit to the Georgia Aquarium in September! It bills itself as the world's largest aquarium with 8 million gallons.

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

I haven't been to the Georgia Aquarium yet, but I've been told that the Tennessee Aquarium is better. I love the TN aquarium. They have alot of FW stuff....especially native fish. Lots of reptiles too, for those that like fish and reptiles. And they have penguins now.

The GA has alot of sharks and stuff I think, so if you like that better, you may like GA better than TN.

Welcome to the Tennessee Aquarium is the website. It is in Chattanooga.

I think I have read the Ga one is the largest in the US (not sure if it is in the world).

Some info on Pittsburgh's Aquarium:

Pennsylvania Waters Exhibit - a river exhibit that flows along the front of the new building, with waterfalls descending into a pool of North American fish from the region.
Open Ocean Tank - a two-story, 100,000 gallon tank that combines sharks, fish and simulated coral to resemble a more diverse and complete ecosystem.
Amazon Rainforest Exhibit - a two-story recreation of a flooded Amazon rainforest, including lush plant life, piranhas and huge South American pacu.
Two Oceans- a cold water marine exhibit featuring a uniquely shaped window that allows visitors to view fish swimming above and alongside them.
Stingray Tunnel - a unique educational exhibit where children can crawl through a clear tunnel to view stingrays swimming above and alongside them.

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium

Their 100k gallon ocean tank is really really quite amazing.

One site I found lists the top ten aquariums as:
Deep Sea Aquarium (Europe)
Shedd Aquarium (North America)
Two Oceans Aquarium (Africa)
London Aquarium (Europe)
Ubatuba Aquarium (South America)
Waikiki Aquarium (North America)
Genoa Aquarium (Europe)
Georgia Aquarium (North America)
Sydney Aquarium (Australia)
Singapore Aquarium (Asia)

From a June, 2005 article in USA Today about recent aquarium makeovers(in no particular order):

Adventure Aquarium
Camden, N.J.
What's new: Just about everything. The former New Jersey State Aquarium re-emerges after a $45 million overhaul that brings new management, a new building and many new exhibits.
Opened: May 25
Highlights: The all-new West African River Experience, home to hippos, crocodiles, porcupines and more than 20 species of African birds; a new 550,000-gallon shark tank with more than two dozen sharks, viewable from multiple wall windows and a 40-foot, walk-through tunnel.
Coolest critters: Button and Genny, billed as the first hippos ever at an aquarium, starring at the West African River Experience

National Aquarium
Baltimore
What's new: Animal Planet Australia: Wild Extremes
Opens: Fall 2005 (date to be announced)
Highlights: The 64,000-square-foot glass addition to the East Coast's most famous aquarium will house a re-created red rock river gorge like those found in Australia's Northern Territories. Unusual Australian animals, many never or rarely seen in the USA, include an Australian species of crocodile, lungfish, flying foxes, snakeneck turtles and various lizards, snakes and birds such as rainbow lorikeets.
Coolest critters: Johnston's freshwater crocodiles, a species never before seen in the USA

Monterey Bay Aquarium
Monterey, Calif.
What's new: Ocean's Edge, an $11 million transformation of the groundbreaking aquarium's original galleries
Opened: May 27
Highlights: A walk-through "wave crash tunnel" in which visitors experience what life is like for creatures that live in pounding surf; a new giant-octopus exhibit area; an expanded coastal wetland and sandy shore aviary; and hands-on stations such as a revamped bat ray touch pool.
Coolest critter: The sheep crab, a relative of the Japanese spider crab that grows to more than 18 inches across

Tennessee Aquarium
Chattanooga
What's new: Ocean Journey, a $30 million expansion that brings saltwater creatures to the world's largest freshwater aquarium. It's part of a $120 million overhaul of the Chattanooga Riverfront that includes expansion of the Hunter Museum of American Art, renovation of the Creative Discovery Museum and enhanced public spaces.
Opened: April 29
Highlights: A replica of the Gulf of Mexico's Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary, home to coral reefs, tropical fish, stingrays, turtles and sharks; the Butterfly Garden, with hundreds of butterflies from around the world; a "Boneless Beauties" gallery with invertebrates such as giant Japanese spider crabs and jellyfish.
Coolest critters: The giant Pacific octopus

Indianapolis Zoo
Indianapolis
What's new: The Dolphin Adventure
Opened: May 28
Highlights: Visitors can watch dolphins from what's billed as the world's first totally submerged dolphin viewing dome, which sits in the middle of the main performance pool. The underwater dome measures 30 feet in diameter and 12 feet high and is accessible via two clear acrylic "tunnels" at the bottom of the pool, offering 360-degree views of the dolphins as they swim. The attraction will be home to the Midwest's first get-in-the-water-with-the-dolphins program starting in September.
Coolest critters: Gene and Jane, specially trained retrievers (one black, one golden) that interact with the dolphins during daily shows

Back
Top Bottom