Providing the best for my new buddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, that's exactly what it is. I actually ended up finding one of your threads after looking it up. Mine has a little bud starting on one of the leaves. Thanks so much this is super helpful.
I have a asian water fern & struggling to keep alive. From what I understand it does better immersed not submersed, requires very soft, acidic water & high tech conditions recommended.
Top will die & new growth will start at bottom. This is when plant will thrive. Just wanted to let you know what to expect. Heres pic of mine (2mo)not great but still kicking. For betta tank I would go w/java fern(very easy). 20190303_100612.jpg

Java Fern

Yeah when I get the 10 gallon I will be going Java Fern or Anubias. This was the wife's choice, but it seems to be doing okay.

Attachments

• 20190303_143423.jpg
    20190303_143423.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 55
Latest Update Day 9? I think

So first the important part. Betta buddy has been named Kiora. Pictures below. Tests have been good during cycle. Max Ammonia spike was at .50 ppm, typically averaging around .25 or lower during day. 25% daily water changes. I noticed my Nitrate is starting to grow, but no Nitrites... Maybe while I wasn't testing some of them were forming? Not sure. PH is usually around 7.0 to 7.4. Not really sure how to control that yet. Plant is doing good, I moved it to provide some additional hiding coverage. Got some indian almond leaves for him to to promote good health. Put them in the filter after soaking and broke them up. Friend is working on getting his 10 gallon to me still... He's very active still and colors look really good. He's been eating good during feedings. Still feeding daily, combination of betta food by aqueon 2-3 little bits, and then some blood worms to finish out the 2 minute feeding period. Also starting to see some bubble nests in tank. 3 days in a row.

Tubes were before today's water change. Curious if I should back off to a 2 day change when I see these numbers

Attachments

• 20190305_200522.jpg
    20190305_200522.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190305_200257.jpg
    20190305_200257.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190305_200451.jpg
    20190305_200451.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 55
Hey@ Jeymz good to hear!!!!! In my opinion you should stay on top of everything till fully cycled. Ammonia & nitrites will injure or kill very quickly. A cycle can take up to 6+ wks.
As for ph I wouldn't mess w/it if not affecting Kiora. More damage can be done trying to adjust. Just keep doing the good job your doing.

Houston, we have nitrite

Came home a little late today, immediatly laid the daughter down for bed, and proceeded to check my tank. Ammonia, check, highrange and low range ph, check, was going to nitrate, and then I was like, i should really nitrite test again just in case, and we have nitrite. Did a 25% change, but woohoo, I am pumped, but now the constant watching intensifies.

Day I don't even know anymore

Cycle is happening, nitrite is still present, daily water changes still happening. Kiora seems pretty happy still. The plants have 4 buts happening on the leaves. Unsure if I should prune them or just let them naturally grow. Nitrate is also happening, but not at the right levels yet. I took some of the Indian almond leaves out as they were getting a little slimy, left a couple bits in though, only near the filter. Still waiting on my friend for the 10 gallon, will be so stoked when I get it. Also got Kiora a new little hiding spot. He really likes water changed because feedings come right after. I did skip 1 feeding when the nitrite spiked a little, but other than that been keeping him happy in this little 1.6 gallon tank.

Nice to know your staying on top of situation. Stay vigilant with water parameters. A cycle may test good for a few days & then go sideways. It may seem like its taking forever but in long run your fish will come out of this healthy & its well worth the time it takes. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Hopefully the last update

Did my tests yesterday and WOOHOO nitrite and ammonia are down to 0ppm and nitrate started popping up a little bit. New plant growth is starting to really pick up too. Attaching a link to a video (hopefully it doesn't get removed). Thank you all so much, your help is the only reason I was able to get this far and I am super grateful.

Kiora Video

Your welcome! A betta can live 2.5-5yrs. Depending on genetics. I'm sure you'll do your best. If any questions arise just ask!!!!! Good luck!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom