Providing the best for my new buddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeymz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife recently picked me up a betta and a 1.6 gallon fish tank. It was a surprise gift because she knew I was starting to show interest in raising an aquascape. She didn't consult with me first though and I know that this is not the best environment for a betta. I am getting a 10 gallon soon, but my biggest concern is I am fish in cycling right now. I purchased a small 7.5 watt heater and the aquarium she purchased has a filter. I have been doing a fair amount of research on cycling and I really want this little guy to survive it. His color is looking good, and his fins are open. Water temp is normalized around 79 - 80, keeping a close eye to make sure it doesn't get to 82. I have a single live plant in there but I am not sure what she got me. Something with Asian in the name. Wont be horribly upset if that dies, I wanted something a little easier to start with. She also got me some of those Marimo Moss Balls. I have a good hiding spot for him too, no sharp edges or anything. I came home today and did a 20 - 25% water change. We have distilled water here so I didn't condition. Any advice would be amazing. I want to know if it's okay to do regular water changes until cycling is complete. I don't have a test kit yet, planning on getting some this weekend, but if you guys think I should get it sooner than later I will. Really hope I can keep this guy around. It's only been a day but I am quite fond of him. He's very active and likes watching me while I work on the computer, as do I him. Kinda hard to get a picture of him because he keeps swimming around

Hello, I wouldn't use distilled water cause the process strips everything out including minerals that fish & plant need. It will also cause pH problems which can shock or kill the fish. Better to use temp. matched treated tap water.
Next, it usually takes 6+wks to cycle a tank so you might want to upgrade to 10gal asap(your choise). I personally believe a larger volume of water gives you more time to deal w/issues that may arise.
A testing kit is a very important tool when cycling tank & keeping fish healthy. By testing water you can tell when cycle is complete & when you have water quality issues. I suggest using liquid test kit. Its more reliable than test strips(one I use in pic). In pet shop runs 35$, online about 15$ give or take. Strips cheaper but liquid will last forever! Your choice.
Now keeping fish alive. I would do 25% daily waterchanges w/temp matched treated tap water. This will keep ammonia low till you get something to test with. Feed 1×daily. 2-3 betta pellets. Fish will beg but resist overfeeding to keep waste to min till tank is cycled. If you used distilled water in tank you may want to reacclimate using drip method. This way fish doesn't shock or die from pH swings. Take the cup or bag(bag if possible) betta came in fill 1/2 w/water that's in fish tank. Put fish in bag or cup then dump water in tank & refill w/treated temp matched water. Float cup or bag in tank & attach to rim if possible. Add a little water from tank every 15min. Till 3/4 full in bag or almost full in cup. Net fish from bag or cup & place in tank. You want to do it this way so fish will get used to chemistry of tap + remove all distilled. Hope this helps.20190225_194720.jpg

Good advice by m.j. If your tap water is good....not high in ammonia and nitrates then begin using that. It has the minerals needed to keep your fish healthy. +1 on the API liquid test kit and buy yourself some dechlorinator. I would do a 20% water change with temp matched tap water. The pH swing from this small amount of water changed out won't swing the pH that much. In a day or two change out another 20% of the water with tap. I'd stick to this regime for a couple weeks then begin doing 50% water changes every three days. Once you get a water test kit you will be able to fine tune your water changes. I've found that 50% frequent water changes on nano tanks works well when they aren't cycled.

Thanks a ton for the suggestions. One more thing, not sure if it makes a difference or not. Our water is not distilled it's just filtered through a reverse osmosis filtration unit.

RO still takes out to many minerals. You could mix 50/50 RO and tap. Use dechlorinator.

Getting ready

Ordered the test liquid today. Picked up some water conditioner today as well. Will start conditioning the tap water tonight and that should be ready tomorrow.

Day 3 Update

Day 3 update. Did another 25% change with conditioned tap water. Betta buddy is doing great. all fins fully expanding and he's very active. Ordered freezedried bloodworms, water test kit, and some indian almond leaves for new tank. Still haven't received new 10 gallon. Hoping to get it this week though. Also though of a good name for him if he can withstand this fish in cycle. I'll save that for later though. Thanks again to everybody who has helped. It's one thing to research all this, and another thing entirely to be responsible for a little fish life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dechlorinator works nearly instantly when you add it to the water if you didn't want to wait.

Hello again, sorry for not getting back sooner(work). For water treatment I use seachem prime. Not only removes chlorine, chloramine & heavy metals it also converts ammonia into a non toxic form+detoxifies nitrite & nitrates for 24-48hrs. Costs about 6$ for 3.4oz but seachems recommend dose is 2 drops per gallon. Well worth the money & I believe cheaper in long run!!!!! Hope this helps.20190227_063915.jpg

Update

I posted an update, but for some reason it got removed. Probably because I put a link to a picture in it. Little betta buddy is doing good. Did another 25% water change with conditioned water. I got a bottle of the aqueon conditioner until I can get some better stuff online. He seems to be super healthy and active yesterday. His fins are fully expanded and he was moving all around the tank. I have been trying to adjust some of the moss balls so he has new things to discover in tank each day. He really seemd to enjoy the placement of the marimo moss ball near the corner. He would run around the tank and then go squeeze in between the ball and the tank and wait for me to look at him. I also ordered the water test kit you recommended but it wont be here until next week. I got some indian almond leaves too just in case. I will keep you guys updated.

I posted an update, but for some reason it got removed. Probably because I put a link to a picture in it. Little betta buddy is doing good. Did another 25% water change with conditioned water. I got a bottle of the aqueon conditioner until I can get some better stuff online. He seems to be super healthy and active yesterday. His fins are fully expanded and he was moving all around the tank. I have been trying to adjust some of the moss balls so he has new things to discover in tank each day. He really seemd to enjoy the placement of the marimo moss ball near the corner. He would run around the tank and then go squeeze in between the ball and the tank and wait for me to look at him. I also ordered the water test kit you recommended but it wont be here until next week. I got some indian almond leaves too just in case. I will keep you guys updated.
Good to hear!!!!! All I can say now is research, research & more research. Don't be afraid to ask questions, from what I've seen so far there's very knowledgeable people here willing to help! Speaking of research look up nitrogen cycle if you haven't already(I like wikiHow for info). Gotta go good luck.

Day 4 Update

Did an additional 25% change. Cannot wait to get the test liquid in. Little betta buddy is doing well. He's eating good, and he's getting used to the daily water changes for now. He likes swimming around and watching what I am doing as I take water out of his tank. Temps are really good at a constant 80. I see it spike to 82 from time to time, but it always lowers. Side not the plant seems to be doing well too. I noticed a green sprout on the top of one of the leafs where the tip was dyeing. Now I really just need to figure out what type of plant my wife bought me. He likes hiding under the little bridge when he is resting. Side note I think I finally decided on a name for this guy.

Attachments

• 20190226_205011.jpg
    20190226_205011.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 55
Extra Pics

Bonus points to anybody who can tell me what freaking plants these are.

Attachments

• 20190227_211557.jpg
    20190227_211557.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190227_211555.jpg
    20190227_211555.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 72
Plant Type

I don't think it's that type. Here's a better picture.

Little Betta buddy swimming around in the background... He see's me take my phone out now and he gets all excited =P

Attachments

• 20190228_211750.jpg
    20190228_211750.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 54
Testing Kit came in

Testing kit came in today. Still trying to master this skill. So I did not do a water change today so I could get levels.

Ammonia - .5 PPM
Nitrite - 0 PPM < Bacteria not kicking yet
Nitrate - 0 PPM <Obviously if no nitrite
PH was weird though on low scale scored 7.6, on high scored 7.4... So not sure

Should I continue to do daily 25% changes, or should I back off and give cycle a chance to kick...

Still waiting on my buddy to give me his 10 gallon.

Attachments

• 20190301_213751.jpg
    20190301_213751.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 56
You don't want ammonia to get above .50 ppm. So yes do a water change. Personally I don't like to keep it over .25ppm when cycling.

Back
Top Bottom